Samsung's Security Issue?

TechnologyGirl

there have been reports of samsung failing to encrypt the voices of the users of their smart tvs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31523497

Samsung has acknowledged that some of its smart TV models are uploading their owners' voices to the internet in an unencrypted form.

The apparent oversight makes it easier for hackers to spy on customers' activities.

The matter was brought to the public's attention by UK-based cybersecurity experts.

Samsung told the BBC it planned to release new code that would encrypt the voice commands to protect its users.

"Samsung takes consumer privacy very seriously and our products are designed with privacy in mind," the company said in a statement.

"Our latest Smart TV models are equipped with data encryption and a software update will soon be available for download on other models."

The revelation is the latest in a series of PR problems for the South Korean company's smart TV division.

On 10 February it felt compelled to update its privacy policy after the original language raised concerns that its TVs were recording and transmitting everything said in front of them.

The blog post that clarified under what limited circumstances voice commands were shared specifically made mention of Samsung's use of "industry-standard security safeguards and practices, including data encryption" as part of its efforts to reassure consumers.

Concerns that Samsung was not always using encryption, as indicated, were raised by Ken Munro and David Lodge, from the London-based Pen Test Partners on Monday 

should we be scared 

with all the stuff going around smart tv's and their privacy probably i dose not  effect me because i dont have a smart tv 

this is somthing prety major from a company prety major

yep but im sure a massive company like samsung were well aware of this and will fix this asap

For those who use the night theme, here's a readable version :

there have been reports of samsung failing to encrypt the voices of the users of their smart tvs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-31523497

Samsung has acknowledged that some of its smart TV models are uploading their owners' voices to the internet in an unencrypted form.

The apparent oversight makes it easier for hackers to spy on customers' activities.

The matter was brought to the public's attention by UK-based cybersecurity experts.

Samsung told the BBC it planned to release new code that would encrypt the voice commands to protect its users.

"Samsung takes consumer privacy very seriously and our products are designed with privacy in mind," the company said in a statement.

"Our latest Smart TV models are equipped with data encryption and a software update will soon be available for download on other models."

The revelation is the latest in a series of PR problems for the South Korean company's smart TV division.

On 10 February it felt compelled to update its privacy policy after the original language raised concerns that its TVs were recording and transmitting everything said in front of them.

The blog post that clarified under what limited circumstances voice commands were shared specifically made mention of Samsung's use of "industry-standard security safeguards and practices, including data encryption" as part of its efforts to reassure consumers.

Concerns that Samsung was not always using encryption, as indicated, were raised by Ken Munro and David Lodge, from the London-based Pen Test Partners on Monday

should we be scared

with all the stuff going around smart tv's and their privacy probably i dose not  effect me because i dont have a smart tv