best solution for speed?

jathor

long story short: i have a home server/htpc and it's in a place with the xbox and blu ray (which are connected to the internet) plus a couple more free spots on the switch for future expansion.

now my question is, in order to get the best (i.e. fastest) transfer speeds from my htpc/server (for streaming music, movies and files mostly wirelessly) would it be best to:

1) connect the router to the pc then the pc to the switch (and bridge the connection to share the internet with the switch)

or

2) router to switch and all connected to switch?

thanks a lot ppl

I personally would go modem > router > switch > devices.

I'm assuming you're speaking of a wireless router, and the reasoning that you have a closer wireless connection without more links in the chain.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

long story short: i have a home server/htpc and it's in a place with the xbox and blu ray (which are connected to the internet) plus a couple more free spots on the switch for future expansion.

now my question is, in order to get the best (i.e. fastest) transfer speeds from my htpc/server (for streaming music, movies and files mostly wirelessly) would it be best to:

1) connect the router to the pc then the pc to the switch (and bridge the connection to share the internet with the switch)

or

2) router to switch and all connected to switch?

thanks a lot ppl

Router --> Swtich   <--  All your devices

Everything should connect to the switch.  you wouldnt realy notice a difference if you did things a different way but this is the best option. you could come across issues bridging the connection on the pc like that....

Yeah wireless router, sorry i should have specified. Wireless router in the living room for best coverage of house and yard and a wire from the wireless router to the basement where tv, server/htpc, xbox are