Dodgy flash drive

rl249

Hi guys,

about two months ago I bought a 32 gig 3.0 integral Flash drive. It worked for about two days. Last Friday, for some reason, I just plugged it into my pc and it worked. I couldn't figure out what the issue was. I formatted it a few times just to try and iron out any issues that might of caused it to just stop work. But today its just not working again, it tries to install the device but then fails and tells me its not recognizable. The device does show up in the device manager but even from there there's not much I can do. Is there any sort of disk check software that will force a disk check on the flash drive? or should I just call it quits and stop wrecking my brains. 

The device does only seem to work when plugged into the back usb ports, front ports don't seem to work for it.

or should I just call it quits and stop wrecking my brains. 

I would call it quits since flash based storage can be a PITA to keep reliable after its initial failure. If you do want to mess with it though, I suggest making sure the USB connector hasn't been broken in anyway, so checking where its soldered is a good start. If its not physically broken, then try using it with linux to see if you can force it to mount.

I would call it quits since flash based storage can be a PITA to keep reliable after its initial failure. If you do want to mess with it though, I suggest making sure the USB connector hasn't been broken in anyway, so checking where its soldered is a good start. If its not physically broken, then try using it with linux to see if you can force it to mount.

I've tried it on linux and mac but windows seems to be the only thing that actually see's it. I plugged it in just there a few times and it showed up in device manager and looked to be fine. I plugged it out and in one more time and now its working.. while I have it working is there anything I should do? 

I've tried it on linux and mac but windows seems to be the only thing that actually see's it. I plugged it in just there a few times and it showed up in device manager and looked to be fine. I plugged it out and in one more time and now its working.. while I have it working is there anything I should do? 

Not that I can think of, just don't copy any data to it that is valuable in any way. 

Not that I can think of, just don't copy any data to it that is valuable in any way. 

That's a pity.. thanks for the help anyway! :P

Don't keep valuable data on it or duplicate the same data onto another drive in addition to the flash drive. You never know when it'll fail.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Don't keep valuable data on it or duplicate the same data onto another drive in addition to the flash drive. You never know when it'll fail.

I might just open a support call with integral and request a new one. I spent hours messing with it yesterday, it just seems to work whenever it wants.