Part suggestions?

plowmannn

Hello  :D

I'm hoping to build my first PC (a gaming rig of sorts) in the coming month or so and I have an allotted budget; £1000 (Yes that is pounds NOT dollars)

However, I'm having issues with picking the parts to go into this. I've watched countless build videos and setups, and read multiple articles on what to include etc etc and a lot of them seem to contradict each other on what's best. So I came here to get some direct advice from other people- you! So, for this budget I am intending to construct a gaming rig, but I'm not a 'hardcore' gamer. It needs to be able to handle games like BF4 on fairly decent settings (but that will probably be one of the most 'taxing' games it will run) with no issues, but I'm not at all fussed with running ultra settings and still hitting high FPS. The one thing I have decided on however, is the case. My desk is white, and I really like the look of the NZXT H440 mid tower.

Also, this is a full system build, as well as the PC itself I'm in need of other necessities;

• semi decent monitor (maybe two)
  • a set of speakers w/subwoofer--- When I'm not playing or working, the loud music will be put on  :lol:
  • OS 
  • A mouse and keyboard
  • Any cables you think I'm going to need or anything else you can think of that I've blindly missed off this list

Any help/suggestions with that would be greatly appreciated, and once I have decided I will be sure to let you all know how it goes with pictures and such in another topic.

Many thanks, Plowmannn.

P.S I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section under the forums so if its needs to be moved that's fine, but I would call this planning.

BenQ GW/GL series are VERY good displays for not much and if you use a HDMI connector on them they have speakers build in (pretty decent audio quality)

Operating system is depending on what you are doing

- General use and software compatibility Hardcore Gaming (Driver support (DirectX, Nvidia and AMD GPU support) = Windows (OEM keys is around £65-140)

- Image and video Editing = Mac OS (Iffy Hardware setup, can also use Windows for this)

- Just gaming on Steam and general internet use = Ubuntu (Linux) Free

As for Mouse and Keyboard

- Mouse = Logitech Gaming mice (Wired/Wireless)

- Keyboard = Corsair Gaming Mechanical Keyboard

Character artist in the Games industry.

BenQ GW/GL series are VERY good displays for not much and if you use a HDMI connector on them they have speakers build in (pretty decent audio quality)

Operating system is depending on what you are doing

- General use and software compatibility Hardcore Gaming (Driver support (DirectX, Nvidia and AMD GPU support) = Windows (OEM keys is around £65-140)

- Image and video Editing = Mac OS (Iffy Hardware setup, can also use Windows for this)

- Just gaming on Steam and general internet use = Ubuntu (Linux) Free

As for Mouse and Keyboard

- Mouse = Logitech Gaming mice (Wired/Wireless)

- Keyboard = Corsair Gaming Mechanical Keyboard

Thank you :)

Hello  :D

I'm hoping to build my first PC (a gaming rig of sorts) in the coming month or so and I have an allotted budget; £1000 (Yes that is pounds NOT dollars)

However, I'm having issues with picking the parts to go into this. I've watched countless build videos and setups, and read multiple articles on what to include etc etc and a lot of them seem to contradict each other on what's best. So I came here to get some direct advice from other people- you! So, for this budget I am intending to construct a gaming rig, but I'm not a 'hardcore' gamer. It needs to be able to handle games like BF4 on fairly decent settings (but that will probably be one of the most 'taxing' games it will run) with no issues, but I'm not at all fussed with running ultra settings and still hitting high FPS. The one thing I have decided on however, is the case. My desk is white, and I really like the look of the NZXT H440 mid tower.

Also, this is a full system build, as well as the PC itself I'm in need of other necessities;

• semi decent monitor (maybe two)
  • a set of speakers w/subwoofer--- When I'm not playing or working, the loud music will be put on  :lol:
  • OS 
  • A mouse and keyboard
  • Any cables you think I'm going to need or anything else you can think of that I've blindly missed off this list

Any help/suggestions with that would be greatly appreciated, and once I have decided I will be sure to let you all know how it goes with pictures and such in another topic.

Many thanks, Plowmannn.

P.S I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section under the forums so if its needs to be moved that's fine, but I would call this planning.

Case

For the case you could go with the NZXT which is a very good looking case , but the airflow is a little restricted  , but it shouldn´t really be a problem.

For a cheaper alternative you could go with the s340 by NZXT , which also has better airflow, but proberly wont be as silent. (keep in mind that the window on the s340 scratch very easily (you can actually scratch it with you nail quite easily - http://youtu.be/9cNWOgbEXMI?t=2m27s )

but keep in mind you wont be able to have a optical drive in any of those cases (but if you dont need one for daily use , u can always get an external)

GPU

the best bang for the buck gpu atm is proberly the gtx 970, but if thats a bit to expensive you could go with a R9 290 from sapphire, even.

CPU

if you arent going to do a whole lot of demanding tasks like Videoediting or 3D rendering a I5 will be just perfect , the hyperthreading you get in the i7´s isn´t really gonna make you gaming performance better.

the i5 4690K should run everything without a problem and is unlocked for overclocking if u are interested in that

Motherboard

for many people motherboards is a lot about the looks. if you care about that you could go with  MSI´s Z97s Krait edition, as it would match the colors of both the H440 and the S340. 

Ram

you should either go with 8gb or 16gb of ram , it really depends on how you are going to use you pc , i got 8 gb myself , but im going to upgrade to 16 gb because sometimes i got 10-20 tabs in chrome open while im gaming and i experience some stuttering and fps lag  , but it´s easily solved by closing down the tabs ofc, but that isnt always that convenient.  

But i would either go with the Hyperx Fury DDR3 1600Mhz and then take either 2*4 gb or 2*8 ;)

PSU

you should consider if you want to get or maybe add some custom sleeved cables later, if so i would proberly go with a fully modular psu in the range around  500W to 650W

evga supernova g1 650 could be a good option ;)

if you dont want a fully  modular a CS 550 or 650 from corsair would be a good choice

it comes with nice clean black cables and you have the option to buy custom sleeved cables in white or any other color if you want

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cablemod-e-series-g2-p2-cable-kit-white.html

CPU-Cooling

again its gonna be a lot about the looks , a AIO water Cooler will look sweet but they are expensive compared to aircoolers with the same performance

i would either recommend the H105 from corsair. 

noctuas NH D15 has good performance with aircooling but isnt really pretty or good looking

Storage

is pretty flexible but just go for a WD Blute 1TB at least ;)

Hope this helped a bit , with all these parts you are proberly pretty close to your budget if you want a monitor, speakers and keyboard and mouse too tho.

just ask here or send me a message if you have any questions

Case

For the case you could go with the NZXT which is a very good looking case , but the airflow is a little restricted  , but it shouldn´t really be a problem.

For a cheaper alternative you could go with the s340 by NZXT , which also has better airflow, but proberly wont be as silent. (keep in mind that the window on the s340 scratch very easily (you can actually scratch it with you nail quite easily - http://youtu.be/9cNWOgbEXMI?t=2m27s )

but keep in mind you wont be able to have a optical drive in any of those cases (but if you dont need one for daily use , u can always get an external)

GPU

the best bang for the buck gpu atm is proberly the gtx 970, but if thats a bit to expensive you could go with a R9 290 from sapphire, even.

CPU

if you arent going to do a whole lot of demanding tasks like Videoediting or 3D rendering a I5 will be just perfect , the hyperthreading you get in the i7´s isn´t really gonna make you gaming performance better.

the i5 4690K should run everything without a problem and is unlocked for overclocking if u are interested in that

Motherboard

for many people motherboards is a lot about the looks. if you care about that you could go with  MSI´s Z97s Krait edition, as it would match the colors of both the H440 and the S340. 

Ram

you should either go with 8gb or 16gb of ram , it really depends on how you are going to use you pc , i got 8 gb myself , but im going to upgrade to 16 gb because sometimes i got 10-20 tabs in chrome open while im gaming and i experience some stuttering and fps lag  , but it´s easily solved by closing down the tabs ofc, but that isnt always that convenient.  

But i would either go with the Hyperx Fury DDR3 1600Mhz and then take either 2*4 gb or 2*8 ;)

PSU

you should consider if you want to get or maybe add some custom sleeved cables later, if so i would proberly go with a fully modular psu in the range around  500W to 650W

evga supernova g1 650 could be a good option ;)

if you dont want a fully  modular a CS 550 or 650 from corsair would be a good choice

it comes with nice clean black cables and you have the option to buy custom sleeved cables in white or any other color if you want

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cablemod-e-series-g2-p2-cable-kit-white.html

CPU-Cooling

again its gonna be a lot about the looks , a AIO water Cooler will look sweet but they are expensive compared to aircoolers with the same performance

i would either recommend the H105 from corsair. 

noctuas NH D15 has good performance with aircooling but isnt really pretty or good looking

Storage

is pretty flexible but just go for a WD Blute 1TB at least ;)

Hope this helped a bit , with all these parts you are proberly pretty close to your budget if you want a monitor, speakers and keyboard and mouse too tho.

just ask here or send me a message if you have any questions

This is helpful :D thank you. Would you recommend getting an SSD for storing the OS/other things?  because a lot of places have but they also seem to be fairly expensive.

a good versatile case that is VERY future proof is the CoolerMaster HAF Stacker and only costs £120ish (seems allot but its VERY worth it for what you get

Character artist in the Games industry.

This is helpful :D thank you. Would you recommend getting an SSD for storing the OS/other things?  because a lot of places have but they also seem to be fairly expensive.

an ssd will definitely make your boot times much faster , and could also be nice for a game like BF4 (as of its pretty long loading screens) , but it isn´t necessary

i know Seagate have made some sort of combination between a ssd and a hdd which isnt that expensive . but i haven´t heard a lot about it yet 

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/

but yeah. ssd´s are still pretty expensive but you can always just start with a small one  on 120 gb or so, if you really want one. i think you can get them for around £50

edit: just checked some prices and you can get a 240gb for around 70-80£  and a 120 around the 50£ , so you might consider just waiting a while and then buy the bigger 240gb, if you need it ;) 

This is a mid-end pc. Most people insult the graphics but i can play far cry 4 in 1080p high settings at 50-70fps. my rig is a little cheaper and the extra horspower on this rig with run "all" games at 1080p mid-high settings http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/xc8brH

also you can add an ssd for £50

an ssd will definitely make your boot times much faster , and could also be nice for a game like BF4 (as of its pretty long loading screens) , but it isn´t necessary

i know Seagate have made some sort of combination between a ssd and a hdd which isnt that expensive . but i haven´t heard a lot about it yet 

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/

but yeah. ssd´s are still pretty expensive but you can always just start with a small one  on 120 gb or so, if you really want one. i think you can get them for around £50

edit: just checked some prices and you can get a 240gb for around 70-80£  and a 120 around the 50£ , so you might consider just waiting a while and then buy the bigger 240gb, if you need it ;)

ok so I'm 95% there with the parts I'm going to order (largely thanks to you, and the other people who commented) but I have one last question, should i use the stock fans that come with the case? or order some slightly better ones...? because on all of the set ups i've seen people never tend to use the stock fans which leads me to wonder if they're bad?

ok so I'm 95% there with the parts I'm going to order (largely thanks to you, and the other people who commented) but I have one last question, should i use the stock fans that come with the case? or order some slightly better ones...? because on all of the set ups i've seen people never tend to use the stock fans which leads me to wonder if they're bad?

Hi , sry for a late answer , i´ve been busy .

to be honest stock fans should be just fine.  and i wouldnt really upgrade unless you really want something that looks different or  you get problems with some of the fans :3