Quake 2 Port Fowarding Issue

Go to solution Solved by Mattaeus,

then I'm afraid I can't help you :( it might be a bug in the port's networking implementation, but diagnosing it would probably not be worth the hassle.

Thank you, i appreciate the assistance regardless. I am going to "simulate" a LAN connection using evolve on the server which should fix it.

Hey guys, 

At the moment I am at a loss with this. Myself and two of my friends are playing some old school quake using a source port called KM Quake2. The problem however is, I am hosting a dedicated server for this and i am running into a snag.

I have got port UDP 27910 (official Quake 2 port) forwarded on my Dlink 2750U modem but for some reason when my friends directly connect via console, eg. "connect ***.***.***.***:27910", the pc just sits on the connecting screen and does nothing else. We have tried using Evolve which actually does work but its only a "quick" fix and we would prefer a permanent server solution.

I've tried using different ports such as 27920 and even 27990 with no effect, I am hosting Team speak and Killing floor servers on the same server PC as well which are using completely different ports and they are working without a hitch.

All firewalls and potential software's are disabled on the separate server PC as well. I have tested the dedicated option on two different computers and the same problem persists. I can connect to the dedicated server via console on the LAN address but not via direct Internet IP address. My friends stated they can even see the game in the server list but when they try and connect the same "connecting" problem persists

Any help would be appreciated.

-

Have you tried hosting the game on a local network? If that doesn't work either it might be a bug in the code.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Have you tried hosting the game on a local network? If that doesn't work either it might be a bug in the code.

Yes locally I can connect to the server. We have been using a program called Evolve witch simulates a LAN environment and that does work. They can join my game without problems. However when they try to connect directly via internet IP or via the main server list the game connects, but does nothing else. I even see the join message pop up in the server logs. Its basically seems like the IP connects but then hits a "wall" and cant go further. I mean the problem isn't a end of the world situation its just we would prefer a dedicated server over a listen server using evolve.

-

then I'm afraid I can't help you :( it might be a bug in the port's networking implementation, but diagnosing it would probably not be worth the hassle.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Thank you, i appreciate the assistance regardless. I am going to "simulate" a LAN connection using evolve on the server which should fix it.