Laptop Purchasing Advice

Zyo117

So a friend of mine needs to buy a laptop for school. He's got about an $800 budget, and will use it mostly for stuff like office and maybe light gaming. 

I've looked around a little bit, and every laptop I look at seems to be overpriced as all hell for it's specs. Any recommendations?

I should also clarify that this is $800 CAD, and shipping to Canada.

"If three hundred Spartans could hold fast against the tides of Persians trying to break through Thermopylae, we too will hold against the tides of Hidrane at Camden. For our fallen brothers!" ~Alex Jayson, The Chronicals of Michegal.

The definition of a laptop is "overpriced as hell".

MSI GP60
It has an 840M though so don't expect to play Far Cry 4 or anything of the sort on it.

So a friend of mine needs to buy a laptop for school. He's got about an $800 budget, and will use it mostly for stuff like office and maybe light gaming. 

I've looked around a little bit, and every laptop I look at seems to be overpriced as all hell for it's specs. Any recommendations?

if it's for school to take to class and take notes on, battery life, keyboard, thinness, and screen brightness are IMO the most important specs. for note taking, I'd actually consider the Macbook Air to be a reasonable price, and I'm a PC guy

look for one with thunderbolt.   If he ever gets into gaming he can run an eGPU.  As much as people hate macs; I'd recommend a macbook air with an i7 and 8gb ram.  I know its a bit over budget, but dat thunderbolt :)  BTW: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/277270-macbook-pro-with-a-gtx-980-setup-guide-benchmarks-egpu-setup-windows-81/

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I forgot to clarify, though, that this is being bought in Canada, so that's $800CAD, and shipping to Canada as well.

"If three hundred Spartans could hold fast against the tides of Persians trying to break through Thermopylae, we too will hold against the tides of Hidrane at Camden. For our fallen brothers!" ~Alex Jayson, The Chronicals of Michegal.

look for one with thunderbolt.   If he ever gets into gaming he can run an eGPU.  As much as people hate macs; I'd recommend a macbook air with an i7 and 8gb ram.  I know its a bit over budget, but dat thunderbolt :)  BTW: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/277270-macbook-pro-with-a-gtx-980-setup-guide-benchmarks-egpu-setup-windows-81/

honestly the I7 is kinda pointless and you don't need 8GB for note taking, although 8gb is probably a good idea, they charge a pretty penny at checkout and there is no upgrading later

honestly the I7 is kinda pointless and you don't need 8GB for note taking, although 8gb is probably a good idea, they charge a pretty penny at checkout and there is no upgrading later

yeah but if he's ever going to get into gaming and run an eGPU those things would be a great benefit 

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)