Cheap Laptop Selection

sonicvsb

Hello.

I need to buy a really cheap, but decent for the money notebook. It will only be used for internet surfing, youtube videos and sometimes playing flash games. The thinner and lighter it is, the better. Firstly, I was looking at some Chromebooks. I liked the Toshiba Chromebook 2, but I cannot find it here in Bulgaria and ordering from abroad is not an option. In fact, the only Chromebook that you can find here is the Acer Chromebook 13, which is around $400, with only 2 GB RAM, 32GB SSD, and a 13" 1366x768 display. I think that is a lot and turned to cheap Windows laptops I could find.

I like the ASUS X551MAV-SX264D for now. It has the following characteristics: Celeron N2830, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, integrated graphics, 15.6" 1366x768 screen. All at around $275. Yes, it will be a little bit bulkier than the Chromebook, but I think it is a better deal. However, I will make a few upgrades:

Firstly, I will take out the 2GB RAM module, sell it, and put a 4GB Kingston one that I already have.

Secondly, I will take out the 500GB HDD, sell it and get a really cheap Kingston SSDnow 60GB instead. It may not be as fast as my 840EVO for example, but for the money - around $40, nothing can beat that. It is sure that I will not save anything locally, so the space will be enough, and I really want a small SSD because the notebook will be quieter, lighter, and more energy efficient.

I am only concerned about the processor, but as the workload will be light, I hope I won't have any problems with it. The screen is OK for me, I am good at that size and resolution. Battery I hope lasts long, but otherwise the notebook looks pretty decent.

After selling out the parts that I do not need and making the upgrades, the computer will cost me around $250, which I think is almost unbeatable for what you are getting. It has to be said that prices in Bulgaria and rest of the world are different, but I am giving you my price. I am open for any kinds of recommendations. Thank you.

I was on the fence about buying the Toshiba Chromebook 2 and the HP Stream 13, but in the end I went for the Chromebook because windows is very resource heavy and on cheap machines it is laggy.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Thank you for your response. Actually, I may be able to order it from Amazon, but sadly, only the 2GB version. I want to ask whether the laptop is upgradeable and if I will be able to open it, take the existing stick out and put a new 4GB one. 

I would suggest you get the cheapest laptop you can find with any haswell cpu in it.

And make sure its one of those with a separate section for HDD bay. Usually those can be opened without voiding the warranty sticker.

Then you buy the crucial MX100 256gb SSD and put that instead of the HDD.

And you will get the performance and speed of a WAY more expensive laptop. I did this to a old used laptop i got for cheap. Best idea ever!! It runs perfect, fast and sharp, as if i payed 1k $ for it.

I understand what you are saying. However, I do not want to get the performance of a $1000 laptop that I paid $600 for. Sadly, my budget is $250-$300 max and I just want a cheap laptop that will do the job well. Haswell and/or a 256GB SSD are far away from me now. I will probably put a 64GB really cheap SSD and live with that.

I am still leaning towards the cheap Windows laptops instead of Chromebooks, not for the OS, but I just feel like they give me more bang for the buck and more expandability, which I will definitely need for some of my upgrades. It's just a shame that I cannot find a 13" notebook, because I really like that form factor.