computer wont boot from SSD

AverageDan
Go to solution Solved by FSBAlston,

Bad or missing mbr on the ssd. This is what happens when you install with multiple drives attached. There is a complicated way to rebuild the boot record, but id recommend you detach all other drives other than the target drive and reinstall. Once install is finished, shut down and reconnect drives.

Edit: if you want to go the hard way, google master boot repair.

I just recently did a fresh install of windows 8.1 upgrading from a HDD

When I installed, windows was still on the HDD but I deleted and formatted the drive it was on and then chose to install it on the SSD. But then, if im not wrong, windows created a boot partition on the HDD but stored the system files on the SSD.

Now when I change my boot priority it shows an error to select a bootable drive so im guessing its the HDD...

Is there in anyways I cant move that partition to the SSD, or do i have to reinstall and remove the old drive, then reconnect it later?

Any suggestions are greatful, thanks!

This is why you unplug all unnecessary drives when installing windows

I would just remove your old hard drive, reinstall Windows onto the SSD, and then reconnect the hard drive.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Bad or missing mbr on the ssd. This is what happens when you install with multiple drives attached. There is a complicated way to rebuild the boot record, but id recommend you detach all other drives other than the target drive and reinstall. Once install is finished, shut down and reconnect drives.

Edit: if you want to go the hard way, google master boot repair.

- Alston

Thanks for all your answers, I searched up master boot repair and encountered a really solution - which was EasyBCD and I just changed the boot drive from there and everything is fine now :D