Best silent case that isn't an R5 or H440

Go to solution Solved by LeeJC73,

I've got an R5. I disconnected the power and HDD LEDs.

Won't suffer like the R4 as it's got the midi roof panel.

I want a silent case, that fits my H100. I have an R4 and (maybe because of asus' stupid "Thermal armor") the rad doesnt fit with the fans attached.

Also the holes for the screws don't match up for some reason, wich forced me tape the radiator to the cieling of the case, drill a hole in the side panel and mount the fans on top (see picture). That kinda works out but as a result I loose a lot of cooling performance (30°C idle but 50-60°C while gaming and 80+°C in prime 95). I also want a side panel with a fan mount so no windows.

My specs

Asus tuf sabertoth Z87

4770k @ 4.2GHz

Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB

Corsair H100

2 evga 780 ACX SC in SLI

Corsair AX 860

Samsung 840 evo 256GB

WD green 2TB

I'm new to the forum and this is my one first posts. So feel free to smack me in the face if I broke a  rule or something ^^'

Greetings from switzerland!

All cases are silent until you put stuff in them.

Bit odd that you want a silent case with a side panel fan mount.........

Fractal Arc Midi

Corsair carbide 400\500r

idk.... why a silent case? with an  h100 its gunna make noise.. js also try removing the armour.. its only like 10-15 screws

Why dont you want r5/h440, they basicly fix everything, and the r5 is awesome

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

BeQuite Silent Base 800
CoolerMaster Silencio 650

Corsair 550D

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

idk.... why a silent case? with an h100 its gunna make noise.. js also try removing the armour.. its only like 10-15 screws

At 100% it does... but i run the pump only at 50% when idle. at those speeds it's dead quiet. and removing the armour doesnt fix the problems with the holes for the screws :/

Why dont you want r5/h440, they basicly fix everything, and the r5 is awesome

H440 -> side panel window (i suck at cable management)

R5 -> basicly an R4 so it will probably have the same problems (?) also the power led is waay to bright for my taste (turns my room into a disco when in standby)

All cases are silent until you put stuff in them.

Bit odd that you want a silent case with a side panel fan mount.........

Fractal Arc Midi

Corsair carbide 400\500r

well i haven't noticed that big of a difference with the mount open or closed but it helps to dissapate the heat of my GPUs... also the fan will only turn on under load

wow I must have been sleeping while watching Linus' review for the first time. but i'm still a bit concerned about clearance for my cooler. is the radiator mount in front of the motherboard or directly above it?

Is offset like the arc midi so you'll get an h100\i in no problems.

It'll also go in the front no problem, the mounts are slotted and you can move the drive cage towards the PSU.

Have a quick look at my custom loop.

Is offset like the arc midi so you'll get an h100\i in no problems.

It'll also go in the front no problem, the mounts are slotted and you can move the drive cage towards the PSU.

Have a quick look at my custom loop.

wow looks like I will settle for the r5 after all  :)

Thanks a lot for your help

and btw nice loop

its more about the airflow and quality of your fans. Also fan controllers and software like ai suite helps a lot.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz