660Ti Fan not spinning under 90%

Hello.

In think I haven't presented yet, but I need help.

2 months ago I noticed one fan on my 660 Ti wasn't working, I tought it was stopped by dust, because I used it for almost 6 months without cleaning the PC, so I clean everything up but the fan still doesn't start and it wasn't "hard to spin" with my finger, so lube is not a problem I think.

MSi Afterburner says 0 RPM, 1 fan spinning, the other one not. But if I make it spin with my finger, RPM starts to show in MSi software.
If I use the Fan Speed controller in MSi Afterburner, I can hear the other fan working properly, but the other one doesn't move at all until I set fan speed to 90% or higher, then it starts and I can get it to 86%, if I go lower(85%) it just stops.

GPU Temp in any game goes up to 81-82ºC, but the other fan gets TOO MUCH noisy. Before, when the two fans worked fine, it was very quiet and max temp was 70ºC.

The fan that doesn't work is directly up(or down :blink: )the GPU.

I live in Argentina, i'm sure here I will not be able to find the same fan, so is there a solution to this problem? I will try flashing the BIOS to see if that solves the problem, I flashed the BIOS a year ago with other fan curve, but it was working fine.

Thanks.

Sorry if my english is bad :(

Hello.

In think I haven't presented yet, but I need help.

2 months ago I noticed one fan on my 660 Ti wasn't working, I tought it was stopped by dust, because I used it for almost 6 months without cleaning the PC, so I clean everything up but the fan still doesn't start and it wasn't "hard to spin" with my finger, so lube is not a problem I think.

MSi Afterburner says 0 RPM, 1 fan spinning, the other one not. But if I make it spin with my finger, RPM starts to show in MSi software.

If I use the Fan Speed controller in MSi Afterburner, I can hear the other fan working properly, but the other one doesn't move at all until I set fan speed to 90% or higher, then it starts and I can get it to 86%, if I go lower(85%) it just stops.

GPU Temp in any game goes up to 81-82ºC, but the other fan gets TOO MUCH noisy. Before, when the two fans worked fine, it was very quiet and max temp was 70ºC.

The fan that doesn't work is directly up(or down :blink: )the GPU.

I live in Argentina, i'm sure here I will not be able to find the same fan, so is there a solution to this problem? I will try flashing the BIOS to see if that solves the problem, I flashed the BIOS a year ago with other fan curve, but it was working fine.

Thanks.

Sorry if my english is bad :(

I will PM you, im from Chile.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

• 1 month later...

Wow, I've been having literally the EXACT same problem with my MSI 660 ti power edition for about a month now and I've been unable to find anything out.  I'll definitely update if I can find anything.  Please let me know how it goes for you?

• 3 weeks later...

Me too, I've also been having the same problem. I don't know for how long i'm having this exact same problem but I found out today that 1 of the fans isn't working, and I don't think it's normal that the second fan only kicks in when the fan speed exceeds 85%.

I've read somewhere that the 'second 'fan should be doing the same thing as the first fan, like, copying the fan speed of the first fan, except it doesn't work like that now.

Someone already having progress or knows a solution?

EDIT: So i've been thinking of a solution, I've read somewhere else that flashing ur GPU BIOS could fix it (since it fixed for someone else) but I couldn't find any good tutorials and I'm too scared to brick my gpu anyway.

Something else i've been doing, I removed the GPU Fan 4 pin header and connected it to my Arduino Uno, with this I could read some fan speeds and such.

The weird thing is, if I use the 3.3v or 5v both fans are spinning ( though for some weird reason I had to tilt the cable, otherwise the fans wouldn't work, maybe the cables are broken?), I've been playing around a bit as reading fan speed and trying to change fan speed but that doesn't really seem to work and I think it's not neccesary.

So at the moment, both gpu fans are spinning in my PC, fan header connector straight on the 5v on my Arduino, the fans are not really fast but it's better than 1 fan is able to change speed and 1 fan not working. (Got 64~ celsius with the 2 fans spinning and 70~ celcius with 1 fan spinning, although the temperatures don't differ too much, I don't think it's good for the lifespan to leave the cooling to 1 fan.)

• 2 years later...

I am So sorry that I am reviving this thread, but did any of you find the solution!?

A while back, my friend gifted me his old card due to me not being able to afford much.
{This is the card, obviously.}
While working on a laptop that had HDD issues; I decided to just dump it on my PC. (before I lost all the data) When I opened my computer I noticed my back fan on my GPU was not running, and I've spent the last 3-4 weeks looking for information, but I always find half threads.

People having my problem but never giving the solution.