EVGA GTX 970

Mr_Pepsi
Go to solution Solved by Ripull,

It's probably the heatsink problem know with the EVGA 970's.

O63MVHx.jpg

Hi, i am not looking to buy the card.

But rhe reason i make this post is because on the scandinavian online "amazon" there were a review or the EVGA GTX 970 SC card that said

"Drove card on auto and then fell idle at 65 degrees.

This seemed to me and some friends weird so we googled it and found out that there was a mistake with the card. 2 of 3 heating element that was in operation.
The card was great in every other way except this." In this quote there will be spelling mistakes.

I don't know if what the review is completly true and i want to know what you think. That way if i am going to buy the card i will know that.

It's probably the heatsink problem know with the EVGA 970's.

O63MVHx.jpg

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

Basically, one of the three heatpipes don't make contact with the core.

The card however shouldn't idle that high, and is an issue bespoke to that card and maybe a couple of others.

It's not a bad card, however I would recommend the ACX 2.0, Strix, TFV, G1/Windforce or AMP! Omega/Extreme cards instead.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Hi, i am not looking to buy the card.

But rhe reason i make this post is because on the scandinavian online "amazon" there were a review or the EVGA GTX 970 SC card that said

"Drove card on auto and then fell idle at 65 degrees.

This seemed to me and some friends weird so we googled it and found out that there was a mistake with the card. 2 of 3 heating element that was in operation.
The card was great in every other way except this." In this quote there will be spelling mistakes.

I don't know if what the review is completly true and i want to know what you think. That way if i am going to buy the card i will know that.

This was an issue with the first ACX coolers if you get one of the ACX 2.0 coolers its not a problem any more. Mine performed well when I had it temps where around 80c at 1400Hz.

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

They used some poor wording. The 3rd heat pipe IS operating, HOWEVER, there is very little contact area with the chip. EVGA claims the card is MEANT to be that way.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!