Random Shut Downs

BadBacon
Go to solution Solved by Birdhunter,

Check if your Ram is set up properly (I had rams that where unstable on 1600/1.5v, but not on 2400/1.65v). If you have a XMP profile (very likely), make shure it's activated.

Is it Blue-Screening or completely shutting down (off)?

Memtest is a good program to check your Memory, would certainly help to identify the culprit or rulling it out as such.

Hi, I'm new to the community and I've recently built my new Gaming PC. I've run into a snag with random crashes with the system. I've checked my comp temp and they all seem to check out. My CPU Idles around 11C on a good day and on load it only hits around 40-60C based on room airflow. I'm not sure what is wrong with the system but I'm slowly thinking it might be my PSU. I'm not sure soo I need some advice. I've already replaced my stock CPU cooler with a Coolermaster Hyper EVO 212 and it still crashes. I also installed the two fans that came with the H100i radiator that I had sitting around to cool my equipment. So I'm very sure that over heating is not my problem. MY GPU seems fine and runs phenomenally. Temps are normal and it still is factory clocked. Also during games my Rig doesn't crash so I'm sure it's not my GPU. I crash when I'm using Chrome. Also I'm getting high CPU usage from Chromium. Even soo temps stay relatively low on my CPU. It hasn't gone beyond 65C.  Not sure what to make of the problem soo I narrowed it to either PSU is faulty, PSU cannot support the amount of power being drawn from the system or inadequate airflow from PSU fan. This is how the case interior looks with all the parts installed.

SPECS:

CPU: FX-6300 3.5ghz (won't OC until I know my system is stable)

CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER HYPER EVO 212

MOBO: MSI 970 GAMING AM3+ 

RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS X (2x4GB)

GPU: Zotac Extreme GTX 970 (Factory OC)

HDD: Seagate 2Tb NAS HDD (MASS STORAGE)

SSD: Samsung EVO 120 GB (BOOT DRIVE)

PSU: CORSAIR RM550 (SUSPECT)

FANS: 2 (120mm) ROSEWILL STOCK LED FANS, 2 (120mm) H100i STOCK FANS, 2 (120mm), 2 (120mm) BLACK ROSEWILL STOCK FANS)

There is about 7 fans in my system directing airflow. Top is on pull config drawing hot air out, Front led fans are on push config, and the last two on the chasis are on pull as well. The fan on the Heatsink is in push.

post-169544-0-53850100-1418678118.jpg

post-169544-0-44695100-1418678144.jpg

Sexy Beast named War Machine: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/M2Pscf

Maybe it's the RAM. It never happened to me before but i've seen other people with RAM problems on fresh builds.

Find a way to test the RAM. I would tell you myself but I can't remember anything. It was memtest or something...

Also one question. Does it crash ONLY with chrome ?

Check if your Ram is set up properly (I had rams that where unstable on 1600/1.5v, but not on 2400/1.65v). If you have a XMP profile (very likely), make shure it's activated.

Is it Blue-Screening or completely shutting down (off)?

Memtest is a good program to check your Memory, would certainly help to identify the culprit or rulling it out as such.

Hi, I'm new to the community and I've recently built my new Gaming PC. I've run into a snag with random crashes with the system. I've checked my comp temp and they all seem to check out. My CPU Idles around 11C on a good day and on load it only hits around 40-60C based on room airflow. I'm not sure what is wrong with the system but I'm slowly thinking it might be my PSU. I'm not sure soo I need some advice. I've already replaced my stock CPU cooler with a Coolermaster Hyper EVO 212 and it still crashes. I also installed the two fans that came with the H100i radiator that I had sitting around to cool my equipment. So I'm very sure that over heating is not my problem. MY GPU seems fine and runs phenomenally. Temps are normal and it still is factory clocked. Also during games my Rig doesn't crash so I'm sure it's not my GPU. I crash when I'm using Chrome. Also I'm getting high CPU usage from Chromium. Even soo temps stay relatively low on my CPU. It hasn't gone beyond 65C.  Not sure what to make of the problem soo I narrowed it to either PSU is faulty, PSU cannot support the amount of power being drawn from the system or inadequate airflow from PSU fan. This is how the case interior looks with all the parts installed.

SPECS:

CPU: FX-6300 3.5ghz (won't OC until I know my system is stable)

CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER HYPER EVO 212

MOBO: MSI 970 GAMING AM3+ 

RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS X (2x4GB)

GPU: Zotac Extreme GTX 970 (Factory OC)

HDD: Seagate 2Tb NAS HDD (MASS STORAGE)

SSD: Samsung EVO 120 GB (BOOT DRIVE)

PSU: CORSAIR RM550 (SUSPECT)

FANS: 2 (120mm) ROSEWILL STOCK LED FANS, 2 (120mm) H100i STOCK FANS, 2 (120mm), 2 (120mm) BLACK ROSEWILL STOCK FANS)

There is about 7 fans in my system directing airflow. Top is on pull config drawing hot air out, Front led fans are on push config, and the last two on the chasis are on pull as well. The fan on the Heatsink is in push.

Hmmm, you say you can play games without crashing. That's a pretty good indication that the PSU is alright, but you never know. So when the PC is pretty much idle you crash? ie. browsing the internet, youtube vids, etc? This is what I suggest you try ( if you have a USB thumb stick)

Step 1. First go to this website -- > http://www.memtest.org/#downiso (Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7)) <--- click that link when you get on the website, install it and then, follow the process from there. (makes memtest a boot option off the thumb stick) Next turn your PC off, take out one stick of ram plug in you USB stick, and boot from it, this program will test your ram, don't mess around with the settings, just let memtest do it's thing. Let it pass about 8 - 10 times ( i usually let it go over night) if there are no errors, then turn off the PC, put the other stick of ram in, rinse and repeat. If you get no errors on both sticks of ram then great, lets move on to the next step. 

Step 2. Let's test the CPU and check the temps. First go here and download --- > http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/get/intelburntest,1.html, make a folder on your desktop named IBT, extract all contents of the zip folder to the IBT folder you just created. Next go here --- > http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.26-setup.exe, let that install on your pc, then open it. You will see all of your cpu temps, and temps of your Mobo, GPU etc. Now go to the folder we just created "IBT", and launch Intel burn test. You will see a window like this ---> http://imgur.com/c9tY1YY , Make sure you have no other programs open, except HWmonitor, and intel burn test. Where it says stress level Change it to maximum. Make sure the check box that says output results to resluts.log IS CHECKED! and then change the times to run to 30 or 40. Then click start. Let the program do it's thing. In HWmonitor you can see the min and max temp that your CPU hit, as well as the cores of the CPU. Go for a run, or take a nap while this runs, then when it finishes it should say that either your cpu passed and is stable, or it failed. Also check the max temps on the CPU and the CORES in HWmonitor. Make sure they are 80 degress C and below. 

If both of those pass then it is more then likely not an issue caused by either of those parts. The next thing you should test would be the GPU, try running a graphic intense game, ie. crysis 3, BF4, etc. OR you could use a program called furmark to test for stability of the GPU. Try those things first, if they come up with no errors let me know, and I can instruct you further. Also sorry for the spelling errors!  ;)

If this post helped you, mark it as solved and give it a like - Always like seeing when someones issue has been solved. :)

Thank you, I'll get right on this as soon as my finals are done. I want to monitor this thing completely.

Sounds good my friend, let me know how things turn out, screenshots would be good as well :)

If this post helped you, mark it as solved and give it a like - Always like seeing when someones issue has been solved. :)

I already ruled out my GPU before this post. Ran BF3 for 2-3 hours no problems. No odd frame dips or stuttering. I also used Heaven Dx11 and Unigine to test my GPU. No crashes and stable framerates. Still need to test memory and CPU. However I know for a fact my CPU doesn't overheat. I've been using core temp to monitor it ever since i finished installing it as well as CPU-Z. On stock cooler AVG temp was around 30-60C. Idle (STOCK) 30 Min, 50-70 Load (STOCK). On Custom Cooling AVG temp is 20-40C. On load it hit around 30-50C, Idle on cool days it hits 10-11C. 

I already ruled out my GPU before this post. Ran BF3 for 2-3 hours no problems. No odd frame dips or stuttering. I also used Heaven Dx11 and Unigine to test my GPU. No crashes and stable framerates. Still need to test memory and CPU. However I know for a fact my CPU doesn't overheat. I've been using core temp to monitor it ever since i finished installing it as well as CPU-Z. On stock cooler AVG temp was around 30-60C. Idle (STOCK) 30 Min, 50-70 Load (STOCK). On Custom Cooling AVG temp is 20-40C. On load it hit around 30-50C, Idle on cool days it hits 10-11C. 

Sweet!, I would still try testing your cpu, over night just to make sure. When it comes to crashing, you should always double check everything, just so you can save yourself the trouble later. ie. sending a part back that is in fact not broken., and having to do the whole process over again. Anyway, try testing one stick of ram over night, if it passes, then try the other stick. If that passes, it's more then likely the PSU. Faulty HDD, and SSD can causing bsod and crashing, but I don't think that is the case here. Also, when replying to this post, try to remember to quote us, so we can get a notification that this thread is still active. :) Good luck, and let me know how things turn out.

I also think it is a RAM issue, if memtest checks out okay, try re-seating your memory into the other two slots. If that still doesn't help... I'm curious how your idle temps are 10-11c, do you not have heat on? Your computer should never be cooler than the ambient temperature of the room. If your room is say 21c then your computer should at least be 21c on idle, if this is not the case maybe your CPU is not registering the right temperatures and is in fact overheating. How does it shut down? Just straight off, or Blue Screen?

• 1 year later...

About a year late reply. My memory DIMM wasn't properly set in place however, it still registered 8gb of ram. Regardless, I fixed during the first month but never came back to the thread. I have 16gb now and I'm going strong. No real blue screens or random shutdowns since. Thank you for the help!!!

About a year late reply. My memory DIMM wasn't properly set in place however, it still registered 8gb of ram. Regardless, I fixed during the first month but never came back to the thread. I have 16gb now and I'm going strong. No real blue screens or random shutdowns since. Thank you for the help!!!

dat 1 year necro

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn