GoPro Hero

KirbyTech

I am planning to get the Hero to see if I like GoPros and I want to test it out skiing, I already have microsd cards but am wondering about battery. They claim 2.5 hours recording time in warm weather, anyone have experience using this model in the cold? If so please state the approx. temp if you have any idea. 

Hmm. im sure there is a Youtube vid on it somewhere, im currently at school so.... :'(

Hmm. im sure there is a Youtube vid on it somewhere, im currently at school so.... :'(

I have looked but everyone just says what is on the go pro site never their experiences.

I have looked but everyone just says what is on the go pro site never their experiences.

it prob does affect the battery.. but you could get a cheap solar charger, i got mine for 25 USD and i use it constantly on the trail while backpacking

it prob does affect the battery.. but you could get a cheap solar charger, i got mine for 25 USD and i use it constantly on the trail while backpacking

I know it effects it it is just how much it does. Oh well I guess I'll use a battery bank over lunch and if it dies before I'll just live with it. 

Well its all most exactly the same as a Hero 3 white. I have a hero 3 white and can say at 720p 60fps I get about 3ish hours of use. I use it snowboarding non stop the key is before you start using it keep it warm so walking to the lift and such. But I keep it on my helmet all day when it is right around 0f degrees. And if you turn it off for lift rides you will make it trough about 5ish hours of skiing.

May as well toss one of the videos on here: (With setting mentioned above) 

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

I know it effects it it is just how much it does. Oh well I guess I'll use a battery bank over lunch and if it dies before I'll just live with it. 

yeah.. gl though!

Well its all most exactly the same as a Hero 3 white. I have a hero 3 white and can say at 720p 60fps I get about 3ish hours of use. I use it snowboarding non stop the key is before you start using it keep it warm so walking to the lift and such. But I keep it on my helmet all day when it is right around 0f degrees. And if you turn it off for lift rides you will make it trough about 5ish hours of skiing.

May as well toss one of the videos on here: (With setting mentioned above) 

Is that using an nd filter because it looks a bit dark and awesome snow. 

It takes the 2.5hr time to around 2hr. It also depends what quality you're shooting at eg. 1080 60p, 720 120p etc.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Is that using an nd filter because it looks a bit dark and awesome snow. 

Nope no filter. It was crazy foggy and could not see more then 100 feet it was just a dark kinda day.

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Pretty sure its just a blizzard.

Yup 8" in an hour. Snowing so fast that by the time I got back to the top my tracks were covered. There was only about 15 people at the ski area that day all I know is I never even waited in a line.

Ended up getting the Hero 3 White Edition, worked pretty well. Spent 2 days on the mountain, lots of snow fall so images where not amazing but still worked great. Got 1.5 hours of recording time out of it. Also figured out I truly hate snowboarders.

Ended up getting the Hero 3 White Edition, worked pretty well. Spent 2 days on the mountain, lots of snow fall so images where not amazing but still worked great. Got 1.5 hours of recording time out of it. Also figured out I truly hate snowboarders.

Wahhhhh no hate on snowboarders.

Wahhhhh no hate on snowboarders.

Yes, the snow was piles up because of them and it made it more tiring to ski.

Yes, the snow was piles up because of them and it made it more tiring to ski.

I can understand that...But that happens from skiers also.

I can understand that...But that happens from skiers also.

Not as bad by any means.