Brand new PSU making click noise when under full load

Burdock

Oh no.....

My brand new Seasonic 80plus gold PSU is clicking when under stress tests (Intelburntest + Furtest).

Its intermittent, not consistent at all (Varying in loudness, interval).

Should I RMA or investigate? Seems odd, only happens when running MAXED OUT in SLI ....

Herpff   

Coil noise .. oh dear .. try RMA

Some GPUs encounter the same issue when underload, it wont effect any performance but its noisy

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

Coil noise .. oh dear .. try RMA

Some GPUs encounter the same issue when underload, it wont effect any performance but its noisy

The odd thing is that its only when under stresstest level load....

Never seem to run into in when gaming, editing, running servers, or what have you. 

Oh no.....

My brand new Seasonic 80plus gold PSU is clicking when under stress tests (Intelburntest + Furtest).

Its intermittent, not consistent at all (Varying in loudness, interval).

Should I RMA or investigate? Seems odd, only happens when running MAXED OUT in SLI ....

Herpff   

Box it up and RMA it

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

There (generally) are two things most PC gamers complain about: coil whine and capacitor squeal. You're actually hearing the power regulation hardware hitting the resonant frequency for that particular electromagnetic coil. When you are putting the circuitry under one-hundred percent load, you pumping the maximum current through it and since we do not have perfectly efficient electronics, waste electricity is given off in the form of heat, vibration and thus sound. Now please, this is a very oversimplified take on it. It's actually the magnetic field of a coil that causes it to vibrate and thus produce sound.

Try to RMA the PSU and get a new one

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

I am actually quite familiar with coil whine, both in theory and sound. I suspect this is not it.

It reminds me of barring grind on a fan that is not level. Several clicks for a few seconds, followed by nothing for about 3-15ish seconds.

That being said I have already check the fan and it seems to be working fine.

I am not familiar with capacitor sequel, that could be it. Mind expanding on it a little? What to look for?

Aw shit.... I think it's arcing.... F**king hell.

My motherboard just pulled a shutdown to "Protect CPU from varying voltage" or something (It went by pretty quick and I didn't get a crash dumb)   

Crossing my fingers noting has been damaged.