PSU problems - next step help?

Jake5467

i have FINALLY diagnosed that my psu (corsair hx750i) isn't working. The problem is that it just seems to be shorting itself out? I did the paper clip test and it starts then maybe 1 second later (fan spins) it makes a small mechanical click noise and turns off. Is it faulty or just tripping? Thanks

Edit: the reason I don't think it's faulty is that I can use the test button and that works fine

Desktop: Intel Core i7  4970k (OC 4.8GHz), ASUS Z97-Deluxe, 32GB RAM 2400MHz, 2x 256GB Intel 730 Series SSD, 2x 3TB WD Black, 1TB WD Blue

1TB WD Green, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x MSI GTX 970 SLI, Corsair HX750i, Phantex Enthoo Pro [7x Noctua AF-14's], Coolmaster Nepton 280L

Peripherals: AOC 4k 28", LG 1080p 28", LG HDTV 55", Razer Blackwidow Stealth Edition, Razer Naga Epic, Turtlebeach PX4

Try plugging it into a surge protector and see if it works.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

It's already in a surge protector. Tried with and without and multiple outputs in my house

Desktop: Intel Core i7  4970k (OC 4.8GHz), ASUS Z97-Deluxe, 32GB RAM 2400MHz, 2x 256GB Intel 730 Series SSD, 2x 3TB WD Black, 1TB WD Blue

1TB WD Green, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x MSI GTX 970 SLI, Corsair HX750i, Phantex Enthoo Pro [7x Noctua AF-14's], Coolmaster Nepton 280L

Peripherals: AOC 4k 28", LG 1080p 28", LG HDTV 55", Razer Blackwidow Stealth Edition, Razer Naga Epic, Turtlebeach PX4

It's already in a surge protector. Tried with and without and multiple outputs in my house

Maybe it is faulty. Do you see a light glow on your MB when you connect the 24 pin to it ?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Yes I do. It's all very confusing. I may have to test further to pinpoint a more accurate problem it seems

Further testing shows that it could still be the psu. The motherboard won't beep or show a q-code. However when I paper clip test with a simple led light strip off a molex that is fine. Maybe the voltage isn't right on my psu?

I want to be 100% it's faulty before RMA, I ordered it online so it's a bit of a hassle for that. The fact it can power an LED light strip via Molex fine is confusing me, maybe the main 12v rails aren't working or even that motherboard modular cord could be faulty. Is there a way I can test these things?

I want to be 100% it's faulty before RMA, I ordered it online so it's a bit of a hassle for that. The fact it can power an LED light strip via Molex fine is confusing me, maybe the main 12v rails aren't working or even that motherboard modular cord could be faulty. Is there a way I can test these things?

You already done a common test method,I can't think of another better way(Not in my knowledge.) to make sure it's absolutely faulty.I dunno,it's up to you,If you're fine with clicking noise and accident turns off.If I was you,I don't even bother to testing if I hear any unusual sound or turns off,I don't care if I have to kill someone in order to RMA.It's your right to RMA under whatever the circumstances,Plus Corsair do offer pretty darn good customer service,Just call them.