Does the ASUS K55N laptop support 16GB(2x8GB) of RAM?

Go to solution Solved by MLM,

16GB of RAM works just fine in the ASUS K55N. I bought a G.SKILL Ripjaws CL11 F3-1600C11D-16GRSL kit and it worked without any setup, etc(just pop it in).

Here are some nice pics showing off how the BIOS and Windows recognizes it:

COt9wR0.gif sAyMH5J.png dcumx6A.png 2ra5iXf.png

It has been working without issue for 3 days. I also ran Memtest86 overnight(~8 hours) and it had 0 errors in 3 passes.

l5M5OqV.png

I am wondering if the ASUS K55N laptop supports 2x8GB for a total of 16GB of memory/RAM?

Has anybody ran into an issue where there was an actual limit on RAM? (from BIOS, mobo, etc)

I specifically have the K55N-RHA8N29 with Windows 8.1 64bit, a AMD A8-4500m apu, and 6GB(2+4) of RAM. The specification page says "expansion up to 8 GB" and the ASUS phone support didn't say anything different. The phone support did say it would support a single 8GB dimm and I would think if it can support one, it could do two(not sure I trust their knowledge though).  I know that 64 bit windows supports up to 128GB of ram and other laptops with the AMD A8 have 16GB of ram such as the HP ProBook 655 G1.

The Crucial compatibility upgrade site says it is upgradable to 16GB of RAM and even says "These upgrades are guaranteed compatible when you order from Crucial.com", but of course I take that with a grain of salt. I even did a scan using the Crucial scan utility and the scan results give the same computer but have a few more details on my current computer. I don't specifically want Crucial RAM, just want to know if the 2x8GB configuration is supported.

Here is an Amazon review of of a single 8GB dimm where the author said it worked for his "Acer K55n" but I assume he was mistaken as there is no such model in Acer's line. For that same product another person said the single 8GB dimm worked his "ASUS A55A/K55a". Here is a Laptop Watch article on the K55N-DS81(slightly different model) where it says "easily upgraded to a maximum of 16GB RAM". There is also a forum post someone had upgraded multiple K53E's to 2x8GB successfully of RAM and suggests it probably would work on the K55N. I also found a video of upgrading a K55A(slightly different model) to 16GB of RAM.

I know I most likely need 204pin DDR3 SO-DIMM modules at 1600Mhz (PC3 12800) because these are what are currently factory installed.

The factory installed modules I currently have now are CL11(cas latency) at 1.5v(2GB Hynix hmt325s6cfr8c and 4GB Elpida ebJ40ug8bbu0-gn-f).

I also believe CL9 memory and 1333Mhz will work because someone else in this forum thread used this G.SKILL 2x4GB 1333Mhz (PC3 10600) CL9 kit. I also found this answer on Walmart that says that the laptop supports 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz

Other links:

There are multiple places that specifically sell a 2x8GB memory kits for the K55N but there are no reviews or credibility there.

I got a response from the ASUS technical inquiry support(email) saying that memory modules greater than 4GB are not officially supported(meaning not tested) but in theory should work. I sent a clarifying email back to hopefully gain some more details.

Unfortunately I am afraid to say that this Notebook officially just support maximum 4 gb memory one SO-DIMM DDRIII memory one slot, so our test department hasn't tested the 8 gb memory on this Notebook.

In theory, the CPU on this board would be able to support the 8 gb memory on one slot, but as our test department hasn't tested this confirguration, we couldn't ensure the compatibility.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 2 weeks later...

16GB of RAM works just fine in the ASUS K55N. I bought a G.SKILL Ripjaws CL11 F3-1600C11D-16GRSL kit and it worked without any setup, etc(just pop it in).

Here are some nice pics showing off how the BIOS and Windows recognizes it:

COt9wR0.gif sAyMH5J.png dcumx6A.png 2ra5iXf.png

It has been working without issue for 3 days. I also ran Memtest86 overnight(~8 hours) and it had 0 errors in 3 passes.

l5M5OqV.png