CPU Overheat, Pump Failure

So my old P500 pump failed in a spectacular manner this morning (of course, I turned the computer on and walked away without seeing that the pump hadn't turned on). Obviously this caused my i5-4690k to overheat and presumably bluescreen while I was gone. Once I turned it back on, I got the bios warning for CPU Overheat, quickly checked the temps and shut down. Now that I'm back on the stock cooler, the CPU seems to be idling at around 55 degrees, which seems really high to me, especially considering it's back at its stock speed of 3.5GHz. 

Could such a brief overheat have caused permanent damage to the CPU? Are these temperatures normal for a stock 4690K?

have you gone back to the stock voltages?

Yep. Everything is right back to stock. 

Yep. Everything is right back to stock. 

I don't think it is damaged.  A blue screen is good, the fail safe activated and shut the computer down before any harm was done.

What are ambient temperatures?  What are load temperatures like?  The stock cooler is not a good cooler, its simply meant to get the job done, no frills.  If load temperatures are higher than 80C I would be a little concerned, but nothing a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO can't fix.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

For the stock cooler that seems entirely reasonable actually.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Idles mean nothing, load temperatures are what matter.

Under 100% load it peaked at about 83 degrees. It's pretty cold in here. Haven't looked at the thermostat but I'm guessing 22-ish. I'm probably just being paranoid.

Under 100% load it peaked at about 83 degrees. It's pretty cold in here. Haven't looked at the thermostat but I'm guessing 22-ish. I'm probably just being paranoid.

80's not going to harm the CPU, but a bit toasty, I would not worry about it, take it from someone who constantly runs at 95 because I <3 My laptop soooooo much!

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Thats warm, but definitely not danger zone warm.  What application did you use to stress the CPU and put it under load?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Thats warm, but definitely not danger zone warm.  What application did you use to stress the CPU and put it under load?

Burntest on Standard. Didn't want to go too hard on it in case there were any problems.

Burntest on Standard. Didn't want to go too hard on it in case there were any problems.

You should be fine.  Go play some games, do what you normally do.  Monitor temps, keep them below 85C and let us know if there is any abnormalities or instability.

You should be fine.  Go play some games, do what you normally do.  Monitor temps, keep them below 85C and let us know if there is any abnormalities or instability.

Just ran a few games. Highest the temperature seemed to peak is 67 degrees. It had the occasional hang or frame drop, but I can't really say if that's unusual or not. It seems to be running alright.  

Just ran a few games. Highest the temperature seemed to peak is 67 degrees. It had the occasional hang or frame drop, but I can't really say if that's unusual or not. It seems to be running alright.  

After something scary like that you become hyper-sensitive to abnormalities.  It is probably normal and 67C during a game is perfectly normal for the stock cooler at stock settings.  Your processor appears to be fine.