Upgrading Mobo, transferring cpu

I planned on getting a new motherboard soon and wanted to use the cpu off my other one, I wanted to know if there was a way of doing this and how.

What motherboard are you planning to get and what CPU do you currently have?

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Watch out! Make sure that the chipset is the same!! 

And make sure the socket is the same!

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

What motherboard are you planning to get and what CPU do you currently have?

^

@chasemiller614 Come on, What CPU do you have?  Also just saying AMD/Intel WILL NOT HELP!

Because he had a hard drive.

I planned on getting a new motherboard soon and wanted to use the cpu off my other one, I wanted to know if there was a way of doing this and how.

What Motherboad do you have? For example i have a Asus A88xm Plus

And what CPU do you have? I have a AMD 7850k which is a AM2 Socket

AMD and Intel have different Sockets and Chipsets and the CPU the socket and chipset have to match otherwise it wont fit/work on the MB.

You can use software like CPU-Z to check your MB and CPU names etc

you can also use DxDiag (its already on your PC) Just search it or type it in Run. It will show your Processor and Graphics Card details + other stuff 

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

As several people pointed out above you will need to tell us what your CPU is and what motherboard you are using. You can find out the CPU in "System Properties" in Windows.

You can use CPU-Z to check what CPU you have and what motherboard you have (motherboard will be in the "Mainboard" tab). Find these things out and tell us what they are as well as what motherboard(s) you are considering, then we can help you to choose a compatible motherboard :)

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."