Dual channel memory with 4 sticks of RAM

I recently upgraded most of my rig, and I kept the RAM from my old system (four 2GB 1333MHz sticks). I would like to upgrade my RAM, but I can't really fustify the cost. My computer setup can support up to 1600MHz RAM, and I doubt there will be any noticeable difference going from 1333 to 1600. I could upgrade from 8GB to 16GB, but I think the highest I've ever seen my RAM get used is ~6.5GB, barring the one time Battlefield 4 had a memory leak.

My board supports dual channel memory, but not triple or quad channel. I honestly have no idea what the ramifications of running two "instances" of dual channel memory has over just two sticks in one "instance of dual channel. Is there a performance gain (assuming same speeds and amount) to having fewer sticks of RAM? Or does having 4 sticks in dual channel end up with a pseudo quad channel?

Since the speed and capacity upgrades aren't worth the cost, I'm wondering if going from four to two sticks on top of the other benefits would make it worth considering. My computer is primarily used for gaming, if that matters in this case.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

You will have 2 x 2 sticks, each pair running in dual channel. There is no "pseudo" quadchannel or anything, performance should be the same. It shouldn't matter as long as everything works properly, but keep in mind that you're creating more points of (potential) failure.

2x4gb probably will be faster than 4x2gb.

i5 2500k+Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB HyperX Blu - 240GB PNY XLR8 - Sapphire Reference 7970 - P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 - OCZ ZX 850W

Unlike *some* people, I do not claim to be an expert computer guru.  When I make mistakes, I apologise and I own up to them.  Then, I continue to learn so that I may provide those in need with educated answers to the best of my ability.

upgrade ti a 2x4gb 1600mhz cl9. pretty much for everyone this is gold already.

although it's not enough for some people :)

Live your life like a dream.

REMOVED 

Edited by Windspeed36

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

REMOVED

Maybe you should spend some more time reading before you spread misinformation ya know-it-all. Any reputable forums will confirm this noobtard. I'm the noob? Lmao pretty funny guy aren't ya. In the meantime, however, ARGO%&$#yourself!

i5 2500k+Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB HyperX Blu - 240GB PNY XLR8 - Sapphire Reference 7970 - P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 - OCZ ZX 850W

Unlike *some* people, I do not claim to be an expert computer guru.  When I make mistakes, I apologise and I own up to them.  Then, I continue to learn so that I may provide those in need with educated answers to the best of my ability.

upgrade ti a 2x4gb 1600mhz cl9. pretty much for everyone this is gold already.

:)

Exactly. Some folks in this thread don't know their butthole from a hole in the road.

Maybe you should spend some more time reading before you spread misinformation ya know-it-all. Any reputable forums will confirm this noobtard. I'm the noob? Lmao pretty funny guy aren't ya. In the meantime, however, ARGO%&$#yourself!

4 sticks of RAM are not "faster" than 2 sticks, and if they are, it's a matter of nano seconds and will make absolutely no impact on real world performance.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

You should go and re read my post. I really have no patience for those who choose not to read correctly. As you will soon discover, I DID in fact say that 2 sticks @ 4GB a piece is pretty much the go-to setup noooob.

shorinman, on 07 Nov 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

2x4gb probably will be faster than 4x2gb

I recently upgraded most of my rig, and I kept the RAM from my old system (four 2GB 1333MHz sticks). I would like to upgrade my RAM, but I can't really fustify the cost. My computer setup can support up to 1600MHz RAM, and I doubt there will be any noticeable difference going from 1333 to 1600. I could upgrade from 8GB to 16GB, but I think the highest I've ever seen my RAM get used is ~6.5GB, barring the one time Battlefield 4 had a memory leak.

My board supports dual channel memory, but not triple or quad channel. I honestly have no idea what the ramifications of running two "instances" of dual channel memory has over just two sticks in one "instance of dual channel. Is there a performance gain (assuming same speeds and amount) to having fewer sticks of RAM? Or does having 4 sticks in dual channel end up with a pseudo quad channel?

Since the speed and capacity upgrades aren't worth the cost, I'm wondering if going from four to two sticks on top of the other benefits would make it worth considering. My computer is primarily used for gaming, if that matters in this case.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Unless you start seeing some problems such as a slow down or higher memory usage on your end I would say no real need to upgrade but if you have some extra RAM on hand or have it go on sale I would get an upgrade at a later date. As for the 2 x 8gb or 4 x 4gb it question is basically are you planning to go to 32gb or have the need for it later on down the road there isn't a tangible difference other than more points of failure as Nohrellas has said.

2x4gb probably will be faster than 4x2gb.

REMOVED

In current generation motherboards and CPU's there is no difference between a 4x4gb and a 2x8gb kits in a system, and if there is any difference they are marginal rendering no performance gain or loss in real world applications. It's more about the cost and which kit is cheaper at the time of purchase with the inclusion of any intention of upgrading to >16gb which most people don't need.

You should go and re read my post. I really have no patience for those who choose not to read correctly. As you will soon discover, I DID in fact say that 2 sticks @ 4GB a piece is pretty much the go-to setup noooob.

shorinman, on 07 Nov 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

2x4gb probably will be faster than 4x2gb

you just leave that guy alone bro. he has metal for eye contacts. It was proven already that he's a newbie at pc building and just acts all mighty to cover it up. I mean there is nothing shame about being new but being a dick pretending a know it all and barely knows anything is a bad habbit of him bro..

Live your life like a dream.