AMD Graphics Drivers Upgrade Issues

L3773R5a

Hi guys,

Whenever I update my AMD graphics card drivers I always have the same outcome: AMD Vision Engine Control Center breaks. I noticed that whenever I launched it via the desktop (right click) that CCC.exe opens then quickly closes and nothing happens meaning I can't get to my graphics driver settings. I have a 6950 unlocked to a 6970 but surely this can't be the issue..

Reading around on the interwebs many people suggest removing all AMD software (which I can't do as I am running RAID with an AMD CPU and it breaks my install). Instead I custom uninstall everything except the RAID driver and then restart into safe mode and use driver sweeper then restart again and install the new drivers.

It is kinda highly annoying and not to mention isn't working for me now with the new 13.1 drivers. These issues are making me think again about buying AMD GPU's.

Any thoughts or anyone experiencing the same sort of issues? If so, any solutions other than reinstalling windows and/or buying a new GPU?

Thanks.

Have you tried driver sweeper? You can remove just the AMD Display drivers without touching any other AMD drivers.

@the_devil52, his already tried that.

Was it working before you upgraded the driver?

@the_devil52

yea i tried that. What happens is i just run the installer to update, then lose the vision engine center so i uninstall all AMD stuff (except my sata controller driver) then reboot into safe mode, use driver sweeper, reboot into normal windows and then run the installer again. Usually that works but this timei'm having no joy :(

@killerx525

yes it was working before. The reason i need to use it is so i can increase the fan manually coz i find my card overheats for whatever reason (maybe because i did the shader unlock and the fan still follows the old 6950 fan profile not the 6970 which its unlocked to) when i game in say bf3

Alright try these steps. First uninstall the AMD drivers in program and features then restart. After you get the to the desktop, install Driver Fusion and let it do it's magic which it basically removes remaining files and registry keys left behind. Once it is done, it should prompt you to restart and finally try installing the drivers again.

http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion

Awesome, thanks for the help. Problem solved.

I used driver fusion and it came up with a lot of files. I deleted them and it told me i needed to buy the premium version to delete the remaining files that couldn't be deleted.

After manually deleting the files and then registry keys (which involved taking ownership and changing permissions of the keys that would not let me delete them - probably left by one of the first versions of drivers as i've had this os running since i bought the card).

I then reinstalled the latest drivers and BAM, AMD vision engine control center is back. Problem solved :)

There we go, also credit to one of the guys over at Overclock.net who mentioned Driver Fusion to fully remove the old drivers.