MKV to MP4

I am trying to get the Friends series that I ripped from my dvds on to my plex server, but they are MKV and i want a way to convert them to MP4 without losing frames and without using some stupid bloatware that gets to 99% and says error.  Or, if there is a way to get plex to accept MKVs that would be good too.

Thanks

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

HandBrake. Enough Said.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

HandBrake. Enough Said.

ill try it out and see how it goes

HandBrake. Enough Said.

can i convert multiple files at once and how

I am trying to get the Friends series that I ripped from my dvds on to my plex server, but they are MKV and i want a way to convert them to MP4 without losing frames and without using some stupid bloatware that gets to 99% and says error.  Or, if there is a way to get plex to accept MKVs that would be good too.

Thanks

*confused*

I own a Plex Server. ~60% of my files are MKV. I've never had an issue playing them on anything except a PS3 and that's just because the PS3 itself kind of sucks for playing media over a network.

Is there a specific issue you are having with MKV files?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

can i convert multiple files at once and how

Yes, you place them in your queue and it moves down the line

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

*confused*

I own a Plex Server. ~60% of my files are MKV. I've never had an issue playing them on anything except a PS3 and that's just because the PS3 itself kind of sucks for playing media over a network.

Is there a specific issue you are having with MKV files?

so im on my windows 8 pc and i go to my plex thing which is a string of numbers then i click the plus button and click tv shows.  name it.  then i select the folder where the MKVs are and then there is nothing in my tv shows list

so im on my windows 8 pc and i go to my plex thing which is a string of numbers then i click the plus button and click tv shows.  name it.  then i select the folder where the MKVs are and then there is nothing in my tv shows list

Do MP4's show up?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Do MP4's show up?

haven't tried it, maybe im just not uploading it correctly

can u direct me to a video or just explain in deatail

haven't tried it, maybe im just not uploading it correctly

can u direct me to a video or just explain in deatail

It sounds like your plex server doesn't have permission to the folder, but that's probably not it since you are on windows.

Make sure you are naming the folders & files correctly so that Plex recognizes them.

† Christian Member †

It sounds like your plex server doesn't have permission to the folder, but that's probably not it since you are on windows.

Make sure you are naming the folders & files correctly so that Plex recognizes them.

ok i have them in the correct directory but do i direct plex to where the video files are or do i direct it to the folder i created called tv shows

OOOOH! i got it working but the audio is way behind and its not my network cuz i am hardwired and am on the computer that i uploaded from

ok well now all the audio is good if i watch the episode from the start, but say if i skip forward, then its off by like 10 seconds

ok well now all the audio is good if i watch the episode from the start, but say if i skip forward, then its off by like 10 seconds

That happens to me too sometimes. I just exit the show and then start it again. It will ask if you want to start where you left off and it will start with audio in sync (after being muted for like 2 seconds). I think that's just an issue with Plex.

Glad you got it to show up.

† Christian Member †

Thanks

im using this cheap software called formatfactory .. give it a try, idk.

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

don't use handbrake that would take forever. Use ffmpeg. Handbrake is great for converting things to x264, but MKV is already in x264, its just a different container. Using handbrake would mean the whole video file will rencode. When really, all you have to do is repack it, which takes literally seconds.

Download ffmpeg and open up your command prompt (or Power Shell or whatever) and navigate to the folder where ffmpeg.exe is. Run this command:

ffmpeg.exe -i c:\location\of\mkv\videos\video.mkv -acodec copy -vcodec copy c:\location\of\new\videos\video.mp4

Personally When I Convert Media which I am doing right now I use freemake video converter. It is freeware, has an easy to use GUI and I use it for converting MKV's to MP4's for my Ipad as I cant get an MKV onto ITunes. Freemake Video Converter also supports CUDA Acceleration. Program itself has tonnes of Presets but I find selecting MP4 and leaving the settings on Auto gets the job done. As for Plex most of the TV shows I have on there are MKV's and they work perfectly.

Download Link: http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Hello , you can use the tool Vidcoder , its based on Handbrake but its better : ) you  can choose between mp4 & mkv with and without +4gb option and so on.