Audi claims Self-Drive Car Speed Record after German Test

Teslow? :ph34r:

audi-rs7-piloted-driving-concept.jpg

Audi, Company division owned by Volkswagen has claimed a speed record for a self-driving car.The German car giant says its RS7 vehicle topped 149mph (240km/h) while driving uncrewed round the Hockenheim racing circuit, south of Frankfurt.

The car took just over two minutes to complete a lap of the Grand Prix track.

It also put a human behind the wheel of the vehicle for a comparison lap. He took five seconds longer to complete the circuit.

The RS7 used a combination of cameras, laser scanners, GPS location data, radio transmissions and radar sensors to guide itself around the track, with the data processed by computing equipment that filled its boot.

(image below: Computer equipment in the rear of the car used data gathered from an array of sensors)

_78416669_audiboot.jpg

The Experiment marked a high point after 15 years of research by the firm in the US and Europe.

"I know accident-free driving will remain a vision. But at least we can reduce the number of accidents in the future,"                                          

-  Dr Horst Glaser

8a2a69e0-5480-11e4-a58e-83495c92c51c_RS7

However, one industry-watcher noted that a speed test on an otherwise empty racetrack was very different to the day-to-day driving conditions such vehicles would one day experience.

Interesting Factor to consider is the fact that in a scenario or a situation where the car does get into an accident, Who can you blame? Who is responsible? Is it the driver even if they are not driving? Is it the car company? Is it the software company? There are a whole load of legal issues to sort out.

You need to make sure they interact with other driverless cars as well as those piloted by humans , you've got to make sure the software absolutely works Prof David Bailey from Aston Business School said.

Other car companies including Daimler, Volvo, Toyota, Tesla and BMW are also experimenting with artificial intelligence-directed vehicles, as are other tech firms including Google, Panasonic and Autolive.

What your take on this one? Can Tesla can accomplish such a thing? Post your thoughts & rants down beloooooooowww..

Bonus:

you think we're impressed??

755499f7532eb8ad2a8682971c5ced0460cbbe55

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29706473

Details separate people.

Watched it two days ago, it was AWESOME! Gotta love Audi and German engineering in general! :D

Full video of it here:

BMW had this figured out years ago, I remember seeing it in one of the Top Gear episodes where Clarkson almost filled his panties while he was sitting in the car.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

BMW had this figured out years ago, I remember seeing it in one of the Top Gear episodes where Clarkson almost filled his panties while he was sitting in the car.

Don't quote me on this, but I think that BMW only relied on GPS (very very primitive with lots of issues) and it drove really slowly (compared to this).

This is so cool. I think they missed a big opportunity by not calling the self driving racing system "The Stig" though. AJ and Bobby doesn't sound nearly as cool.

Don't quote me on this, but I think that BMW only relied on GPS (very very primitive with lots of issues) and it drove really slowly (compared to this).

This is so cool. I think they missed a big opportunity by not calling the self driving racing system "The Stig" though. AJ and Bobby doesn't sound nearly as cool.

If I could be bothered to find the exact video, you would definitely see that it wasn't slow, it actually went around the track faster than stig :D

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack.