BT infinity/ Google fiber

Sauber-C10

What do you think of the new fibre optic plans from these and other ISP's

Well BT infinity looks good price wise, but the speed is just average. Google fibre, great price, AMAZING speeds, wish it was available in Toronto.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I've never had any hand on with BT Infinity, but any competition to Virgin Media can only be good.

Virgin Media's traffic shaping policies and network reliablity is beyond a joke.

What i cant understand about these ISP's is why they aren't tearing out the copper cables like crazy to sell the copper inside them, especially as copper prices are at a high, and replace them with fiber, its much cheaper than copper to buy and is much faster so why not, profit for the ISP's from the copper, profit for the labour company and faster internet speeds for the people, it makes sense economically and in terms of technological progress

The copper is almost exclusively owned by BT; who have a remit to sell the network at wholesale, all as a consequence of it's privatisation.

If BT ripped out the copper, hundreds of ISPs will go bust because they don't have a network of their own.

BT was originally going to start laying fibre in the 80s, but the Conservative government at the time slapped it down, as they didn't see a purpose for it at the time.

Let the ISP's use the BT fibre lines, its not just cable, its thousands in one large bundle so it'd be the same as the copper lines, plus BT dont have to give a fuck about the other ISP's the less competition for them the better, the other ISP's could still use the network of fiber that BT put down but BT could charge them a rental fee making BT the cheapest fiber broadband provider = BT profit and its good for consumers too

I've never had any hand on with BT Infinity, but any competition to Virgin Media can only be good.

Virgin Media's traffic shaping policies and network reliablity is beyond a joke.

You can easily get round throttling. BT does it too. After years of dealing with throttling I have finally done something about it. And it works.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

What i cant understand about these ISP's is why they aren't tearing out the copper cables like crazy to sell the copper inside them, especially as copper prices are at a high, and replace them with fiber, its much cheaper than copper to buy and is much faster so why not, profit for the ISP's from the copper, profit for the labour company and faster internet speeds for the people, it makes sense economically and in terms of technological progress
There's no profit in it. The amount of work you would have to do to dig up the cables is immense. Also they have to keep your phone line anyway.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Id be more excited if it comes out in different country's quickly, but im not expecting it to reach the UK in a while and definitely not in my area for a few years at least :/ so im stuck with my 3mb down 1mb up 80ms ping on a server 20 miles away, you guys should be more greatful for your internet seing as most of you have like 20+mb minimum #bawlin

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4.4GHZ  GPU: EVGA Superclocked+ GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ 1446Mhz +35mV  MB: MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING Custom Matte Black Painted Chipset and VRM Heatsinks  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB CL8 (1600MHZ)  CPU Cooler: Full Custom PETG loop with HardwLabs Black Ice Rads 1x280mm 1x360mm, EKWB CPU Acetal Nickel GPU Block  SSD: SanDisk ULTRA II 480GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue  PSU: Corsair AX760 80+PLATINUM with Black Cable Mods Singular Sleeved Cables  Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 3 Intake 3 Exhaust Notcua NF-A14 LTT EDITION  Mouse: Logitech G502 1750DPI Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire TK MX Blue Monitor: BENQ XL2411T 144HZ Headset : Logitech G430 7.1 Case Fans: LTT EDITION Noctuas 4 x 140mm & 2x 120mm all with white Chromax Anti-vibration pads Mouse Pad: Cooler Master CM Storm Speed-RX M

Phone can be easily transported over fiber. Actually, its better because there is virtually no interference.

I agree with Sauber, its true that they wouldn't profit, but it would be a minimal loss, and they would get a lot more subscribers in most regions.

Id be more excited if it comes out in different country's quickly, but im not expecting it to reach the UK in a while and definitely not in my area for a few years at least :/ so im stuck with my 3mb down 1mb up 80ms ping on a server 20 miles away, you guys should be more greatful for your internet seing as most of you have like 20+mb minimum #bawlin
You should be more grateful for you 3mb, I only get 60kb down, and 600ms ping

This is my gripe though the UK is one of the smallest counties on earth yet it has some of the slowest and most expensive internet in the west, where as germany and sweden which are bigger countries have faster and cheaper internet, rolling out new fibre internet in the UK should be very fast and not really cost that much, compared to places like the united states which has a colossal land mass, yet they get super fast fibre broadband at cheap prices, why??

ike the united states which has a colossal land mass' date=' yet they get super fast fibre broadband at cheap prices, why?? [/quote']

T_T We get garbage speeds, none of our ISPs at least that I know of give anything above 30ish Mbps down. I know FiOS goes to 300 mbps (def. getting that when I move out) but really there aren't that many amazing ISPs.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

30 Mbps is a really fast connection, in the UK i get 3Mbps and i live in a big city (Liverpool) its even slower in rural areas, the fastest advertised speed here is 50Mbps i think, but you can only get it if you live inside the telephone exchange

Apparently BT are rolling out a 300Mbps straight to fiber service starting in the summer. Sounds too good to be true. I just wish they would upgrade our exchage to adsl+ or just upgrade the phone line in general. Although people in rural areas, like myself shouldn't fret, I believe there was talk of Satellite broadband with a minium of 2Mbps being introduced at some point. :/

I wonder if my local exchange was envolved in an "accident" and was damaged beyond repair would they replace it with an upgrade...

AMD FX-4100(Temporary), MSI 990FXA-GD65, 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3, MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC, MSI Radeon HD 5450, Asus Xonar DGX, M4 128GB SSD, 1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD, 250GB Hitachi HDD, CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700W PSU, CoolerMaster Storm Scout, Corsair H50

This is my gripe though the UK is one of the smallest counties on earth yet it has some of the slowest and most expensive internet in the west, where as germany and sweden which are bigger countries have faster and cheaper internet, rolling out new fibre internet in the UK should be very fast and not really cost that much, compared to places like the united states which has a colossal land mass, yet they get super fast fibre broadband at cheap prices, why??
Because we will pay for it, in the UK because a greater proportion of us compared to other countries in Europe can afford it.

Apparently BT are rolling out a 300Mbps straight to fiber service starting in the summer. Sounds too good to be true. I just wish they would upgrade our exchage to adsl+ or just upgrade the phone line in general. Although people in rural areas, like myself shouldn't fret, I believe there was talk of Satellite broadband with a minium of 2Mbps being introduced at some point. :/

I wonder if my local exchange was envolved in an "accident" and was damaged beyond repair would they replace it with an upgrade...

I will help cause said accident at your local exchange if you help me at mine.

This is quickly turning into an anonymous operation