Should I spend $20 more on a 4GB DDR5 270X or stick with 2GB DDR5

Go to solution Solved by loccilucas,

I'm on a strict budget though. Couldn't that $20 be spent better else, like a better mobo or case

in that case just get the 2gb one, because honestly any game that requires 4gb @ 1080p is gonna be too much for a 270 to handle anyway.

I'm planning on building a new pc and I am thinking of getting a 270X. However there is a 2GB DDR5 and 4GB DDR5 version. Im going to run a single 1080p monitor. I'm leaning towards the 4GB version because its just $20 more and it is a little bit more future proof if ever decide to hook up a second monitor. What are your guys opinons?

Links:

270X 2GB 

270X 4GB

There have been many wars that have rocked the face of Earth, Many have heard of WWI, WWII, The Cold War, The Vietnam War and the Iraq War. But there has been a war that only a handful of humans know.....AMD vs Intel. It all started in 1985 when Intel released the first 32bit processor, the Intel 386. This war has been raging on for decades and Intel and AMD are still at each others throats. Fanboys have been ruthlessly killed, motherboards have been short circuited and most gruesome of all... CPU pins have been bent. Stop this war before it is too late. #STOPTHISWAR

You'd be bottlenecked by the 270x before your chocked for memory. But for only 20 bucks why not.

Only get the 2Gb one

Ok thanks

There have been many wars that have rocked the face of Earth, Many have heard of WWI, WWII, The Cold War, The Vietnam War and the Iraq War. But there has been a war that only a handful of humans know.....AMD vs Intel. It all started in 1985 when Intel released the first 32bit processor, the Intel 386. This war has been raging on for decades and Intel and AMD are still at each others throats. Fanboys have been ruthlessly killed, motherboards have been short circuited and most gruesome of all... CPU pins have been bent. Stop this war before it is too late. #STOPTHISWAR

well on a card like a 270 you will never play at resolutions that need 4gb, so you will be absolutely fine with the 2gb  , however for 20$ why not.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

well on a card like a 270 you will never play at resolutions that need 4gb, so you will be absolutely fine with the 2gb  , however for 20$ why not.

I'm on a strict budget though. Couldn't that $20 be spent better else, like a better mobo or case

in that case just get the 2gb one, because honestly any game that requires 4gb @ 1080p is gonna be too much for a 270 to handle anyway.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Thanks, I'll get a ASUS mobo with the extra money

The 280 isn't that much more expensive than the 270X these days. Maybe you could try and find a good deal on one of those? It'll be a bigger benefit than the 4GB VRAM option. And the same price on Newegg. Look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099&cm_re=280-_-14-202-099-_-Product

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

The 280 isn't that much more expensive than the 270X these days. Maybe you could try and find a good deal on one of those? It'll be a bigger benefit than the 4GB VRAM option. And the same price on Newegg. Look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099&cm_re=280-_-14-202-099-_-Product

Won't I have to then buy a new psu.(I'm planning on getting a CX-500W)

Won't I have to then buy a new psu.(I'm planning on getting a CX-500W)

It'll be close, but I think a 500W PSU can handle it. Unless you're running a more power-hungry CPU of course. But with, say, an i5, it'll probably be fine.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

for a few bucks more try grabbing a better psu.

well I'm kinda on the seasonic side though >.< their newer one (I believe) m12ii 520w 80plus bronze (flat cable ones) are pretty good. but might be more expensive depending on where you live.

well in my place both are similar in price and depending on shop the corsair cx one is more expensive.

Live your life like a dream.

• 4 weeks later...

Get the 2gb version and spend the money that you saved on a better psu

The Cooler Master B700 is cheap and high quality-ish.