Copy~Paste Method for Dota2?

PugoOfficial

Hi Guys!
How do I properly Copy~paste DotA2(from my classmate) to my PC. since my net is so slow I resorted to this option

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz | COOLING: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VII Formula ATX | MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8) DDR3-1866 | STORAGE: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX860i 80+ Platinum | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780Ti DirectCU II (2-Way SLI) | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (Black) | DISPLAY: ASUS PB278Q 27.0" (2560 x 1440) | KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | SOUND: Logitech Z906 5.1 Speakers / Razer Kraken Chroma | OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So find where your friend installed Dota 2, default is Programs>Steam>SteamApps>Common. Copy and past that into your steam games folder. Then within steam, click install on Dota 2,

So find where your friend installed Dota 2, default is Programs>Steam>SteamApps>Common. Copy and past that into your steam games folder. Then within steam, click install on Dota 2,

So just copy his common folder and paste it in my SteamApps? and do I need to stop downloading dota2 or it will auto-update my current dota2?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz | COOLING: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VII Formula ATX | MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8) DDR3-1866 | STORAGE: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX860i 80+ Platinum | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780Ti DirectCU II (2-Way SLI) | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (Black) | DISPLAY: ASUS PB278Q 27.0" (2560 x 1440) | KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | SOUND: Logitech Z906 5.1 Speakers / Razer Kraken Chroma | OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So just copy his common folder and paste it in my SteamApps? and do I need to stop downloading dota2 or it will auto-update my current dota2?

Copy his Dota 2 folder from his Common into your Common folder.

If you click the steam icon on the top right of the client there's a backup option which you can set to back up to 1 file.

You can then copy this one file to the PC and click the same option but instead of backup pick restore and it will begin to install.

| CPU: Intel Skylake i5-6600K @ 4.5Ghz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2400Mhz | MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI | GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 | HDD: 2TB, 1TB, 3x 300GB | Monitors: 1920x1080 3x1 | Windows 7 x64 Ultimate |

I've found backing it up and then restoring it to be a more reliable way of transferring any steam game. Dota 2 seems to normally work fine with copying and pasting, but for other games steam tends to ignore the game folder I paste in.