I can only "halfconnect" to the internet

Hey. ive got some problems with my internet, i am at a friends place LANing. the problem is, i cant get a connection. we use cable, i find his network, wich includes, his computer, switch but no internet. we tried LAN servers, it worked in minecraft, but in counter-strike, it found it but couldnt connect.

it says its a problem with the dns server, and ive tried putting the dns server manually. ples halp?

Do you use a static IP on your computer? That have happened alot to me. Do the internet work on other devices? Maybe you have exceded the amount of IP-adresses the router can publish.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Have you put to much stress on the router or whatever? like if you have to many electronics pulling power from a room and the power goes out? is it something like that but with ethernet? Maybe go to another part of the house and see if you can connect there?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I do not have a static ip, i released it and then reenewed, and got a new one. the router we are using is a Airport (Apple) that is supposed to handle up to 50 units.

the internet work on all other devices, and we have used more devices than cuurently on the router. i also have been using this internet before, but it just wont work right now.

I've had the same problem with my old laptop, but at home. Never found the problem. Eventually I got a new laptop (old one was getting very sluggish) and now I'm happy again :p

Try updating the drivers for LAN connection and maybe see if you need anything from Apple to use the Airport.

CPU: i5 4670K w/ NH-D15 - RAM: 4x4GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 - GPU: MSI GTX 970 100ME - SSD: 250GB 850 EVO - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (games) & 2TB (storage) - MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window - Fans:  A lot of Noctua NF-F12 (intake, exhaust) & 1x140mm Fractal Design included case fan - Monitor: DELL U2515H - Keyboard: Custom Logitech G105 - Mouse: Roccat Kova+ - Extra: LG Optical Drive, a lot of dust

try to ping 8.8.8.8 and see if it replies.  IF it does, then it is a dns issue

try an: nslookup   <-- and see what that is resolving

Home Machine:

Ryzen 5900x Processor - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

ASUS PG348Q Monitor -- Samsung 34" TV -  1080ti Card

NAS:

Ryzen 5600x - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

Hot Swap 3u - Redundant Power

The one troubleshooting question i haven't seen asked about this yet is, do you have enough LOCAL ip addresses ALLOWED and ENABLED in whatever router you are using.

I heard from another apple airport router user that for some unknown weird reason, the router automatically " on the fly" disabled the amount of loca ip addresses available for connection to it down to 4 sometimes.  This was a reoccuring problem for months on end with the newest model available that they bought brand new from his apple store in Ridgeland Mississippi about one year ago.

How did he solve that?  He figured how to manually  set the maximum number of allowed local ip addresses ( my netgear 3700 wndr router has easy access to this as well at the webpage method).  

Check this out Lorpan,  even if it isn't the problem's cause, at least it's one more thing you KNOW you have control involving that router and one more way to rule out problem cause possibilties.

Bottom line is.  if any router has 4 lan ports and wireless access, and at stock configuration allows a max of 10 local ip addresses, then chances are only 9 devices max will be allowed access to the internet source that that router is connected to.  The router claims one of those local ip addresses for itself.  Thus this is why it matters how many devices are connected vs the amount of local ip addresses available.

I hope this helps.  It helped me a long time back at a lan event. Cheers