water cooling case

Im in the process of doing a system upgrade. im upgrading gpu to an asus strix gtx 970 as soon as there in stock lol. At the same time i would like to change cases to something that i can do a custom loop in in the future for cpu and gpu once a good waterblock for the 970 is available. As for the rest of my components i am currently using an Asus sabertooth z77, core i5 3570k overclocked to 4.3, rosewill capstone 750w semi modular 80plus gold, and its housed in a zalman z9 plus.

When i do this loop it will be the first custom loop i have ever done so i dont know how many rads i will need to keep everything running cool so on top of case suggestions if you could also suggest rads tubing and any other information i might need i would appreciate it.

You need a minimum of a 120mm radiator per component, or 120mm of cooling space per component. So if you went CPU+1 GPU then you need either 2x120mm or a 240mm or larger. I suggest EK Supremacy Evo for a CPU block, any D5 pump, Alphacool radiators, Primochill Advanced LRT (I think Linus recommends this tubing), Primochill's fittings to go along with the proper tubing size and EK GPU blocks because they are one of the only manufacturers of non-reference PCB GPU waterblocks.

You need a minimum of a 120mm radiator per component, or 120mm of cooling space per component. So if you went CPU+1 GPU then you need either 2x120mm or a 240mm or larger. I suggest EK Supremacy Evo for a CPU block, any D5 pump, Alphacool radiators, Primochill Advanced LRT (I think Linus recommends this tubing), Primochill's fittings to go along with the proper tubing size and EK GPU blocks because they are one of the only manufacturers of non-reference PCB GPU waterblocks.

thank you for the reply do you have any mid tower case suggestions that could cleanly support a setup like that

When i do this loop it will be the first custom loop i have ever done so i dont know how many rads i will need to keep everything running cool so on top of case suggestions if you could also suggest rads tubing and any other information i might need i would appreciate it.

There is just way too much variability and preference for cases, as well as a HUGE gap in price ranges. My personal picks for most categories:

Ultra/Custom:

Caselabs: Magnum SMA8, Mercury S8, Magnum TH10A  (<---if you own a money tree)

NZXT: Phantom 820

Corsair: 900D

Full Tower:

Phanteks: Enthoo Primo

Corsair: 780T

NZXT: Switch 810

Mid Tower:

NZXT: H440

Fractal Design: Define R4

Cube:

Fractal Design: Node 804

XSPC: H1

Radiators: Alphacool or EK

CPU Blocks: XSPC, EK, Swiftech

GPU Blocks: EK

Tubing: Primochill Advance LRT

Fittings (Compression): Bitspower, Alphacool, EK

Pump: Any variable speed D5 that floats your boat

Reservoir: EK, Bitspower, Frozen-Q, whatever you feel matches your case/build the best

Coolant: good ol' distilled water, Mayhems dyes if you want something flashy

Best advice, spend a month planning/budgeting everything out before you purchase a single item; There's nothing worse than being 6 hours into a build and you realize you forgot a 90 degree fitting or a drain port fitting. Building, fitting, and testing a loop is going to take at least a couple days to do right (24hr leak test), so plan accordingly.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

There is just way too much variability and preference for cases, as well as a HUGE gap in price ranges. My personal picks for most categories:

Ultra/Custom:

Caselabs: Magnum SMA8, Mercury S8, Magnum TH10A  (<---if you own a money tree)

And then there's the TX10-V, the biggest case known to man.

Also: don't forget the SMH10 and STH10.

And then there's the TX10-V, the biggest case known to man.

Also: don't forget the SMH10 and STH10.

I love the entire Caselabs lineup, but their pricing is usually out of range for mere mortals. I wanted the Mag. SMA8 but I had already dropped 2 grand on components and had to start cutting corners somewhere, and I love NZXT's newer cases (less LED's for me to solder/sleeve :D )

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

one 240mm rad and one 280mm rad. my suggestion with the case is corsair air 540, looks different and has lot of space.

these are the things which i use my self for my build. goodluck

So i think i have decided on the phanteks enthoo luxe so my question is should i go with a reference design gtx970 for easier access to a good water block or does any one know if there is or will be a water block for the asus strix 970

So i think i have decided on the phanteks enthoo luxe so my question is should i go with a reference design gtx970 for easier access to a good water block or does any one know if there is or will be a water block for the asus strix 970

Excellent choice with the Enthoo Luxe, it is one of the best cases available.  I have the Pro, and I wish I had spent the extra money for the Luxe.  You will love your case.  The customer service at Phanteks is also incredible.

If you are for sure going to water cool, which it sounds like you are, just get the reference model.  Makes no sense at all to buy a STRIX when you are going to be taking off the STRIX cooler to water cool the card.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."