Upgrading to 1440p Monitor

Zolon

I currently have a single 24" 1080p 60Hz TN Panel monitor, and I am thinking about upgrading it alongside my new build to a 1440p Monitor. My main reasons are poor colours and motion blur. Since I am by no stretch of the imagination a hard core gamer, I thought it would be nice to have the better colours of an IPS panel, but I would like to avoid motion blur. So should I go with an good 120/144Hz TN Panel, a 60Hz IPS or wait for the 120/144Hz IPS panels? I am pretty lost due to my own extensive research in this topic.

I'd go for a 1440p IPS that is known to OC well so you can get 75 Hz+ which is the best of both worlds. The QNIX QX2710 Evolution II can get to 96 Hz most of the time and is pretty cheap.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I currently have a single 24" 1080p 60Hz TN Panel monitor, and I am thinking about upgrading it alongside my new build to a 1440p Monitor. My main reasons are poor colours and motion blur. Since I am by no stretch of the imagination a hard core gamer, I thought it would be nice to have the better colours of an IPS panel, but I would like to avoid motion blur. So should I go with an good 120/144Hz TN Panel, a 60Hz IPS or wait for the 120/144Hz IPS panels? I am pretty lost due to my own extensive research in this topic.

Well most 1440P IPS panels are 60Hz too so you won't see you won't see improvements in terms of motion blur but the better color reproduction and quality will be significant. You won't miss 120/144Hz if you've never had it.

It's up to you really.

IPS 1440p = Asus PB278Q

1440P 144Hz = Asus ROG Swift

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I currently have the LG W2442PE-BF, and the motion blur pretty visible to me. I have heard about non overclocked 144Hz IPS panels in development by AU Optronics, so I could wait another 3 or 4 months until a monitor with this technology hits the market. But will a higher refresh rate by its own reduce motion blur?

Well most 1440P IPS panels are 60Hz too so you won't see you won't see improvements in terms of motion blur but the better color reproduction and quality will be significant. You won't miss 120/144Hz if you've never had it.

It's up to you really.

IPS 1440p = Asus PB278Q

1440P 144Hz = Asus ROG Swift

+1 to both options listed, the ROG Swift is still very expensive though so the investment for 144Hz is much steeper than the investment for good color reproduction on an IPS. Hopefully 120/144Hz IPS panels will come around soon but there aren't any to be released in the near future AFAIK (corrections anyone?).

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i5 4690K | G.Skill Ripjaw 4 GB (desperately needs upgrade) | MSI Radeon R9 290 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate Constellation 1 TB HDD (also needs upgrade) | NZXT Kraken X61 for CPU | NZXT Kraken X61 + G10 for GPU | Corsair M45 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | ASUS Xonar DSX | Denon AD-H2000

+1 to both options listed, the ROG Swift is still very expensive though so the investment for 144Hz is much steeper than the investment for good color reproduction on an IPS. Hopefully 120/144Hz IPS panels will come around soon but there aren't any to be released in the near future AFAIK (corrections anyone?).

No, since the Production of this Panel type is scheduled to start in October. BenQ will most likely release the first, since AU Optronics is part of BenQ.

I currently have the LG W2442PE-BF, and the motion blur pretty visible to me. I have heard about non overclocked 144Hz IPS panels in development by AU Optronics, so I could wait another 3 or 4 months until a monitor with this technology hits the market. But will a higher refresh rate by its own reduce motion blur?

It will be an improvement, but it's not black and white like that since a comparison between a 60Hz TN panel and 60Hz IPS panel will reveal the almost across the board greater motion blur in IPS panels. low quality TN panels can also have a significant amount of motion blur as well though.

Edit: In other words, a 144 Hz TN panel will almost assuredly have less motion blur than an IPS, but it may not actually be a truly perceivable difference (especially with GSYNC/Freesync to reduce/eliminate screen tearing).

No, since the Production of this Panel type is scheduled to start in October. BenQ will most likely release the first, since AU Optronics is part of BenQ.

Very interesting! I think I'll be waiting for to see what happens with this. Even though I'm not a professional content creator and I do no real accuracy-needed color work (some basic photoshop and lightroom work on my photos), I absolutely love IPS panels because they simply look better and are easier to work on. I'll be very excited to see a review of the first 1440p 120/144Hz IPS monitor, though I will personally end up waiting for an ASUS option.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i5 4690K | G.Skill Ripjaw 4 GB (desperately needs upgrade) | MSI Radeon R9 290 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate Constellation 1 TB HDD (also needs upgrade) | NZXT Kraken X61 for CPU | NZXT Kraken X61 + G10 for GPU | Corsair M45 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | ASUS Xonar DSX | Denon AD-H2000