having some problems with internet speed

juff
Go to solution Solved by guas5373,

First, I suggest doing a wired test on the router itself to see if you are actually able to get your advertised speed. If you are able to get your advertised speeds, then I suggest moving onto to upgrading your wireless adapter or possibly even upgrading to power line adapters. They are fairly simple to use and give you better speeds and less latency than wireless, but not as good as Ethernet of course. Hope this helps.

I've been having some issues with the internet at my desk. My router is downstairs which i think might be the problem. im running off my desktop on a fairly cheap USB 2.0 wireless adapter. the difference between what im getting and what im supposed to get (80 Mbps) and what im getting (5 Mbps) i was wondering what i should upgrade my router which is the router they give you when they set up your internet . i was wondering what i should upgrade my wireless adapter, my router or if theirs anything else i can do to do.

thanks

First, I suggest doing a wired test on the router itself to see if you are actually able to get your advertised speed. If you are able to get your advertised speeds, then I suggest moving onto to upgrading your wireless adapter or possibly even upgrading to power line adapters. They are fairly simple to use and give you better speeds and less latency than wireless, but not as good as Ethernet of course. Hope this helps.

thanks ill get one of the pci based asus ones and im getting my full 80 mbps next to my router