What should I build?

michaeltrain22

After a summer of research, I feel I'm ready to build a PC. The problem is I don't exactly have the money to buy the parts I want for the ideal PC. I definitely want an Intel i5 processor and a graphics card capable of running the Dolphin Emulator. I want to start with a cheaper processor and no GPU so I can use the computer for now and upgrade it when I'm ready. By "cheap processor," I mean less than $100 (and Intel). I want to start with 4GB of Ram, and eventually upgrade to 8GB. I will feel more comfortable assembling this with cheaper parts, then I can upgrade it at my leisure down the road. As I want to use an Intel i5 processor (its price and performance is are best for me), I will need a motherboard that uses it (and has PCIe 3 slots) as well. I have heard about the Broadwell update coming in early 2015, but I do not know if it will be a viable option for me, it'll surely be too expensive (and there's Skylake coming afterwards). So I was thinking I'd use a low end Intel LGA 1150 cpu for now and upgrade it to a Haswell i5 when Broadwell releases, as I'm assuming Haswell processors will be cheaper after if releases. I've yet to find a build that suits me, so some advice would be appreciated. Sorry if any of the terms I used are confusing, I'm still very, very new to this computer world. Thanks!

I'd suggest waiting until you can straight up build a solid computer. Buying low quality parts and upgrading them is just a waste of money. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

In that case, I may try to build a cheap PC for the experience, light gaming, and simple image editing. It'd definitely make me more comfortable when I'm building a PC with a lot of money invested in it.

In that case, I may try to build a cheap PC for the experience, light gaming, and simple image editing. It'd definitely make me more comfortable when I'm building a PC with a lot of money invested in it.

That is what I did my first time. I bought some decent/cheap parts to build for the first time. I gamed on it with low settings. Then i got a job and made money to build a solid PC. Now i use the old, crappy one for my family so they don't use my good one. So, buy decent parts, build it, game on it, save money, build better PC. Also, try to overclock if possible, its a nice skill to have.

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers