Having trouble with routers

monkey10120

So in the past few months I've bought new routers to replace my ancient wrt54gs. So I look at reviews and started with the Asus rt- n54u and it was a fast router but all my android device constantly loss connection and ping in certain games was terrible. So I then returned it for a Linksys 900 (I can't remember the name) but that router was a 900Mbit router but got 8Mbit download with it! Worse the my 54mbit wrt! So I exchanged it that day for netgear 4500. It's a great router but it keeps losing internet connection and I have to reset it 2-3 times a day. I wanna stick with this one but I would need to know how to fix the Internet dropping. I just can't believe that all $130 routers are getting beat by a $40 router that is 6 years old. :-(

We'll file this one in the "If it a'int broke, don't fix it" department.

<Insert requisite "Robust firewalls > OEM routers" line here>

You say your internet is dropping out. Are you using any wired devices that are experiencing this dropout? Curious to see if your house isn't a WiFi blackhole. And when you 'reset' the router are you also resetting the modem? And just for my own morbid curiosity, what type of ISP do you have (DSL, cable, etc.)? Running in bridge mode might solve an issue or two if things are just getting caught in a NAT whirlpool between the two devices. Have you tried running the old router just see if you are not experiencing unrelated and unfortunately timed ISP problems?

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D

We'll file this one in the "If it a'int broke, don't fix it" department.

<Insert requisite "Robust firewalls > OEM routers" line here>

You say your internet is dropping out. Are you using any wired devices that are experiencing this dropout? Curious to see if your house isn't a WiFi blackhole. And when you 'reset' the router are you also resetting the modem? And just for my own morbid curiosity, what type of ISP do you have (DSL, cable, etc.)? Running in bridge mode might solve an issue or two if things are just getting caught in a NAT whirlpool between the two devices. Have you tried running the old router just see if you are not experiencing unrelated and unfortunately timed ISP problems?

I wasn't getting the dropouts with the other routers. I should of been a little more clear. But I narrowed it down to the router as I just reset it without reseting the modem and it works fine. But it really happens when a I put a huge load on it and cancel it. Like it happened a few time when I opened a YouTube video and backed out before it was done loading the video at the beginning.

Get one that runs DD-WRT, usually the stock firmware on consumer routers sucks donkey balls.

Get one that runs DD-WRT, usually the stock firmware on consumer routers sucks donkey balls.

Stock firmware on consumer grade products is always worse. Personally I'd go for OpenWRT because it's just that, open and I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

I have this. http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr2543nd. Whilst it can only run on one of 2.4/5Ghz bands, the 5Ghz performance sucks anyway. the 2.4Ghz is good enough for basic things, I've never had a problem with it on my android phone. If you run into problems with this device I'd be very surprised.

Actually my wrt54gs has dd wrt on it and I think it works awesome. My netgear is still within its return period that is why I do not want to flash dd yet. Just seeing if anyone knows how to bypass this pain in the ass internet loss with stock firmware.