Alternatives to Hyper 212?

Luke

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 has been a highly recommended air cooler for a long time because if how well it performs for it's price but it's been around for a while so i was curious if anything new and better has come along?

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

At it's price point, it's one of the best coolers around still. It was also one of the best bang for the buck cooler in terms of the price to performance ratio (not sure about now).

At it's price point' date=' it's one of the best coolers around still. It was also one of the best bang for the buck cooler in terms of the price to performance ratio (not sure about now).[/quote']

That's kinda exactly what i just said....

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

At it's price point' date=' it's one of the best coolers around still. It was also one of the best bang for the buck cooler in terms of the price to performance ratio (not sure about now).[/quote'] That's kinda exactly what i just said....

Oops, I guess what I meant to say is that I don't know of any coolers better than the 212.

The closest thing at the hyper 212's price point would probably be the Xigmatek Gaia. I've used both in the past, but much prefer the Gaia because it has a way better mounting system compared to the Cooler Master. From my testing they both perform about the same as each other.

Why change a winner :D? I run a 212 EVO and for the price, its epic :D!! Maybe one of the Artic Freezer models??

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

Hyper 212 is still great. I'd just recommend buying a 212 Evo, not much better out there for air cooling IMO.

You can try phanteks' and notua's they have some pretty nice heatsink

Hex

Asrock Z77 extreme 4 / I5-3570k LGA 1155 / Asus Matrix Platinum / Silverstone SE700 / Gskill Ripjawx 1600 4gb x 2 / Noctua nh-d14 / Creative Zxr / 1 tb Black x 2 raid 1 / 128gb Intel 520 x 2 raid 0

I myself bought a Gelid GX-7 but changed the stock fan with two Corsair SP120s in push/pull... I dont overclock or anything, so for my needs it is perfect :)

I've read some decent things about the NZXT Respire T40 but I haven't seen any readily available like the Hyper 212 EVO so it's just something to look out for I guess since it's in the same price range I think.

The Respire T40 is about $10 more than the Hyper 212 EVO. They have someavilable at CanadaComputers if you're living in Canada.

Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.

I have the Zalman CNPS 9900 Max, in blue, and it works well. It was a little more expensive then some of it's competitors but it's reliable. Coming from a Zalman CNPS 9700 in my 6 year old system that still works amazingly I couldn't pass up the 9900 max. Plus the blue LED lighting looks great with my blue/black color scheme. The only issue is it's kind of a pain to install though it doesn't take long.

Check it out here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118074

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I was just wondering because the Hyper 212 has been around for a while and people often tunnel vision on whats the best at that moment and then everyone is recommending that thing while other new things being released are going unnoticed. I'm not saying that's the case but it's happened before until someone realizes there is something better and everyone hops on that bandwagon and recommends it until the same thing happens again.

Well let's see if the Hyper 212X has a similar price point. It will most likely preform bettter than it's two predecessors. I'm currently waiting for a release of that model instead of the 212+/EVO.

Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.

• 2 weeks later...

NZXT respire T40 and T60 are good options :P

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

For the price, you'd be hard pressed to find a better alternative. I personally don't know of any coolers that I would use in that price range. I am, in fact, running a 212 evo with a 120 mm gelid wing fan currently. Great temporary cooler to use if you were building up the extra cash to make a watercooling loop.

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64