WD My Passport 0748 500gb not working on other ports

arbie1234

Hey guys I really need your help my WD My passport 500gb wont be recognized on usb 2.0 ports(but the drives spins and blinks and also I checked the device manager and the disk manager nothing shows up) only on usb 3.0, I have tried it in my other pc's usb ports it doesn't get detected and when I went to my device manager it says that "device descriptor failed", but on my usb 3.0 port it works, I really have no Idea about this since it used to work before....thanks in advance for the help.....

Are these front ports on a desktop? If so, your USB headers might not be connected on your motherboard.

Nope I am using my laptop and it doesnt work on other ports aside from the 3.0 port..........

Hi arbie1234, I am sorry to hear about your issue. 

Can you please let me know what is the model of your laptop and the OS you are running on it.

Did you try connecting the hard drive to the USB 2.0. port of another computer?

What I would suggest is that you go to Device Manager, right click Properties of usb device, Power Manager, uncheck Power off. 

If this does not solve your issue I assume this could be a drivers' issue.

You can therefore check if the driver is up to date and if not, you can check the link below in order to download the latest version.

I hope this helps. Let me know in case you have further questions.

Cheers,

Dorian_WD

Western Digital Representative

http://www.wdc.com/en/

Can you please let me know what is the model of your laptop and the OS you are running on it.
What I would suggest is that you go to Device Manager, right click Properties of usb device, Power Manager, uncheck Power off. 
You can therefore check if the driver is up to date and if not, you can check the link below in order to download the latest version.

Cheers,
Dorian_WD

driverscape instead of WD support?

System Specs

CPU: FX-6350 (O.C. 4.6GHz Stable / 4.8GHz Unstable-incomplete)Cooler: Hyper Evo 212Mobo: 990fxa-ud3 Rev.3RAM: G.Skill 1866 2x4GBGPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC x2 (O.C. 1120/1320-Summer 1160/1350-Winter)NIC: PCE-N15PSU: Seasonic X-650 Gold+Case: CM Storm ScoutStorage: 120 Samsung 840 SSD 2x1TB HDDBattery Backup-APC 650Mouse: G600Keyboard: G510Gamepad: PS3 Dualshock 3 VIA BluetoothMonitor: ViewSonic VX2253 (cheap from craigslist, owned this before build)

Hi, I tried to give a fast solution. Another option would be to uninstal the drivers from Device Manager by right clicking on the My Passport and then uninstall.

Once done the system can be shut down and the device unplugged. After booting the hard drive can be plugged in which will allow a new installation of the drivers. 

Cheers,

Dorian_WD

Cheers,
Dorian_WD

Hello Dorian_WD thanks for replying.....my laptop is an asus vivobook x202e, and yes I have tried connecting it to other ports of another computer and its still shows the same issues (it doesn't work on the 2.0 and only works at 3.0 ports).....thanks for the suggested solutions I'll try it and give you an update thanks..... :D  :D  :D

Cheers,
Dorian_WD

dude I have tried the things you suggested still no luck it still doesn't work oh and yeah if I plug it on the usb 2.0 port the device manager shows an unknown device with the name "Device Descriptor failed" and yeah I forgot when I plug it on the usb 3.0 port the notification panel tells me that it is not recognized but after about a few seconds it appears on my explorer window and works fine.........I just dont know what to do man It used to work on 2.0 ports now it doesn't......

It's an issue with WD externals. Mine only likes USB 2.0 Ports, even though it's a 3.0 drive. If it's plugged into 3.0, it only works for about 45 seconds before it's disconnected. After searching for a long time online, it seems to be an issue with WD drivers, and Nvidia display drivers. Though, how those two would interact and cause this problem makes no sense to me, but whatever/ I just live with the 2.0 speeds. As for you OP, I wouldn't worry about the drive only working in a 3.0 port, as USB 3.0 is considerably faster.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Hey arbie1234, did you try with another cable?

I would also suggest that you uninstall and re-install the USB drivers by following these steps: in Device Manager right click on every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, then click Uninstall to remove them one by one. Restart the computer and then reinstall the USB controllers. Then you can plug in the My Passport to check if the issue has been resolved.

In case this does not help you could also update BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Greets, Dorian_WD