Windows 8.1 UEFI boot? What is this?

I build a new computer. It's 3 days old :>

A friend of mine suggested that I should install UEFI WIndows(whatever this means) which need GPT. I don't know what he means.

He just said that instead of loading BIOS, it will skip it and go direct in Windows.

Basically UEFI has a direct tie to the OS. On some rigs, when you boot it will show the BIOS screen followed by the Windows load screen. UEFI boot makes it a PAIN IN THE ASS to get into the BIOS.

Umm yea your friend is mistaken. UEFI or unified extensible firmware interface is basically a new form of BIOS. When you boot, the UEFI is still loaded and then you go into your OS. Doing your disk as a GPT or Guid Partition Table has little advantages for most when compared to MBR. With that being said, I have found some UEFI systems will not boot to a MBR disk.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

First of all I want to say that I love this community. Damn. Every time I ask something, after 2 minutes I have 4-5 answers.

So, I read everyone comments.

From what I understood, there's no reason to install the UEFI Windows.

I ran a command and I saw that I have winload.exe, and not winload.efi. Also, I don't have UEFI Firmware Settings, because of the previous reason.

My boot time is great anyway.(12+- seconds).

Thanks everyone!

Basically UEFI has a direct tie to the OS. On some rigs, when you boot it will show the BIOS screen followed by the Windows load screen. UEFI boot makes it a PAIN IN THE ASS to get into the BIOS.

Uh, my OS is installed in uefi mode and it's still easy to get into bios. Did I do something wrong :<

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Uh, my OS is installed in uefi mode and it's still easy to get into bios. Did I do something wrong :<

I fogot to say that I meant laptops with UEFI Windows makes it hard.