Problem with Active Directory

mkessler9

I'm using the name from Active Directory?

No, what he means is, what is your workstation's (the PC you are trying to add to the domain) DNS settings? 

Say the following is true:

DC has IP 192.168.1.10

Workstation has IP 192.168.1.90

Router has IP 192.168.1.1

Are you using your DC as the DNS (since that's installed by default when making it a DC, which would mean your Workstation has 192.168.1.10 in it's DNS settings), or are you using the router as the DNS (since all consumer decent routers have DNS functionality which means your Workstation would have 192.168.1.1 in it's DNS settings)?

Most people use the router as the DNS on their home network, but in a domain, the DC should be the Primary DNS. In fact, you should disable the DNS aspect of the router if possible and definitely do not put it in the DNS settings for the Workstation.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

No, what he means is, what is your workstation's (the PC you are trying to add to the domain) DNS settings? 

Say the following is true:

DC has IP 192.168.1.10

Workstation has IP 192.168.1.90

Router has IP 192.168.1.1

Are you using your DC as the DNS (since that's installed by default when making it a DC, which would mean your Workstation has 192.168.1.10 in it's DNS settings), or are you using the router as the DNS (since all consumer decent routers have DNS functionality which means your Workstation would have 192.168.1.1 in it's DNS settings)?

Most people use the router as the DNS on their home network, but in a domain, the DC should be the Primary DNS. In fact, you should disable the DNS aspect of the router if possible and definitely do not put it in the DNS settings for the Workstation.

Yes, I am using the DC as the dns server.

Current way its setup: Domain Controller IP: 192.168.1.16, Computer IP 192.168.1.13(both have static Ip address's) DNS server on workstation 192.168.1.16

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Yes, I am using the DC as the dns server.

Current way its setup: Domain Controller IP: 192.168.1.16, Computer IP 192.168.1.13(both have static Ip address's) DNS server on workstation 192.168.1.16

Hmm. 

So let's try this. Delete the computer account from the DC. Make a new computer account on the DC. Then try adding the computer to the domain. I realize it can't see the domain currently, but try this anyway first.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Hmm. 

So let's try this. Delete the computer account from the DC. Make a new computer account on the DC. Then try adding the computer to the domain. I realize it can't see the domain currently, but try this anyway first.

Tried it, same error that the domain couldn't be contacted.

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Tried it, same error that the domain couldn't be contacted.

Well this is bizarre. 

Ok, go to the server, go to roles on the first window that opens and check Active Directory for errors. Also check DNS as well.

† Christian Member †