Streaming server on Windows 7?

Hello everyone.

Is it possible to run streaming server or something like that to stream videos from one PC to another? 

I have a decent PC and i'm running Windows 7 64bit

i know that you can do this with windows home server but i don't want to install it. Is there a program or something that can do this in the background? Also it would be great if all the transcoding and all the other heavy work would be done on the PC who is streaming the video or movie.

I saw how Linus streams videos from his home server on his phone, so i like to know is it possible to do this in Windows 7.

Windows has a feature in built called home group, but also has advanced sharing features.

Right click on the folder you want to share > advanced sharing, and go from there. If you need help, feel free to drop a comment.

#!

PC that will mostly watch movies/videos i stream, is running XP

If it where running Vista or 7, i wouldn't ask this. But when it comes to XP, nothing works for me in them anymore. It looks like i just forgot everything about them..

So is this still possible, watching streamed videos/movies on XP machine?

can you post a short tutorial or something, it would be great. cause what i tired din't work and i know i did (or dint) something somewhere wrong, i just don't know where...

dylandylandylan, on 21 May 2013 - 2:27 PM, said:

I think VLC has this function; http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html

it can only stream one file. i have to change the file it will stream every time. so its a no go. if only it cloud somehow stream a folder, that would be great

btw with VLC client PC cant skip video/movie, only the host can.

any more ideas how this can be achieved? cause i'm out of ideas and nothing worked for me

and Linus said that every question gets an answer, he he he.

I know this is a hard question and i don't think what i want is inpossible. So just say, its not possible.

thanks for the help "dylandylandylan", keep up the good work.

I use Plex media server. All the transcoding is done on the fly on the "server" computer, and it streams to another PC, phone, or tablet running windows, Android, or iOS. You'll have to watch your videos using the Plex media center app on the receiving device though, which shouldn't be a problem. It also works over LAN or WAN.

I use Plex media server. All the transcoding is done on the fly on the "server" computer, and it streams to another PC, phone, or tablet running windows, Android, or iOS. You'll have to watch your videos using the Plex media center app on the receiving device though, which shouldn't be a problem. It also works over LAN or WAN.

thanks