XFX 7950 fan dying?

llllIII
Go to solution Solved by eQuilibrium,

Sounds like the bearings in your fan are stuffed.
Maybe watercool it? :P
I would suggest trying to RMA it, no harm in trying !

Hi,

I think one of my cooling fans on my XFX 7950 double D is dying :(

Only one of the fans (the one closest to the 6-pin connectors) is causing me issues. Here is what I've done so far and how I narrowed is down to this fan.

Symptoms:

• rattling/ buzzing noise coming from card

Actions taken:

• used fan xpert to manually stop all other fans in system - sound persisted
  • used manual control in Catalyst control center to stop fans on card - sound gone (at low speeds sound got worse/louder)
    • looking at the two fan hubs while the system is on the fan by the connectors looks like it is wobbling a bit
    • if you touch the two hubs immediately after the system shuts off the wobbly hub is warmer than the other
    • I took out the card and inspected the blades and don't see any damaged/missing plastic to suggest an imbalance and then I blew compressed air to try and clean it

What troubling me is that I've had the card for a couple years now and last week and even the last couple days there has been no issue at all. The last time I moved my system was 2 months ago and no issues up till now. Temps are still good (~46C) it's just annoyingly noisy.

Is there any other trouble shooting steps I should try or am I looking at an RMA :unsure: ?

Thanks in advance!

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

Sounds like a fan is on the way out..go for a RMA..you do have choices...switch to after market GPU fan cooler  or a full water cooled GPU..both will void the XFX warranty..better to have XFX replace the fan under warranty.    

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

Yeah water cooling would solve the issue but unfortunately I don't have the time or resources to put a loop into the system. Also my card is over a year old so no more warranty :(

I'm glad to hear that I didn't overlook something "easy" to fix it  :unsure:

Thanks again :D