MSI R9 290 or MSI GTX 780?

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

save yourself some bucks and get the 290 they perform about the same and the tri x is an awesome cooler no heat issues.

The title says it.

Which has better performance and cooling?

Should i go with the R9 290 and get a 27" Monitor?

Or should i go with the GTX 780 and get a 23" Monitor?

Note:I can only buy the MSI in the GTX 780 bec of the money

and in the R9 290 i could go with the tri-x but i would like to save some money and i've heard that its Sapphire>MSI>Gigabyte n so on.

and i won't go for Gigabyte as it has a High temp in the 290 same for the asus i would trust them in any card but the 290.

What resolution are you playing at?

Is the heat being kicked out into your room a factor?

Is power consumption a factor?

1080p.

No i don't care about the heat being kicked into my room i care more about the card and about it being above 80degrees.

No i just want what is best i don't care about the power consumption.

its not size of monitor its resulution 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

its not size of monitor its resulution 

What?

AMD Option - More VRAM, better for higher than 1080p, Price, better surround experience

Nvidia Option - Raw power, Lower heat output/power usage, drivers/stability, fluff like Hair Works and (advanced) PhysX.

The 23" monitor is going to look (a bit) better from the same distance if you go with either option.

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

AMD Option - More VRAM, better for higher than 1080p, Price, better surround experience

Nvidia Option - Raw power, Lower heat output/power usage, drivers/stability, fluff like Hair Works and (advanced) PhysX.

The 23" monitor is going to look (a bit) better from the same distance if you go with either option.

You kinda still didn't answer the whole question.

I know both very well but i can't choose one and is the MSI R9 290 good will it pass 80Degrees temperature?

I need the 27" as am not gonna game from a near distance and i like to watch lots of movies so i like the bigger screen.

and lastly i just need a card that will last 1 to 4 Years running games smoothly from High to Ultra and i would like to save money not spend.

save yourself some bucks and get the 290 they perform about the same and the tri x is an awesome cooler no heat issues.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You kinda still didn't answer the whole question.

I know both very well but i can't choose one and is the MSI R9 290 good will it pass 80Degrees temperature?

I need the 27" as am not gonna game from a near distance and i like to watch lots of movies so i like the bigger screen.

and lastly i just need a card that will last 1 to 4 Years running games smoothly from High to Ultra and i would like to save money not spend.

I will say my votes goes to R9 290

4GB VRAM will let you game at High to Ultra 1440P

if you want more fps get another 290 for CrossFire

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

As far as performance goes the 290 has a slight edge over the 780 at 1080p & a more significant performance advantage at 2560x1440. The higher the resolution the wider the performance delta.
You get 4GB of VRAM & more memory bandwidth the 290 so it's going to have a longer life span before the memory starts to become an issue.
If you intend to play the next Mass Effect or the upcoming Dragon Age Inquisition you should also know that those titles will support Mantle so the performance delta is going to be even larger with those titles.
All upcoming Frostbite powered games from EA will support Mantle, I believe there are about 7 or 8 games planned in the next 12-16 months.

As far as features go there is pretty much feature parity between both Nvidia & AMD at the moment.
GeForce Experience & G-Sync are balanced out by Raptr Gaming Evolved APP & Free-Sync.
Nvidia has PhysX & GameWorks which runs faster on their cards, AMD has Mantle & TressFX.
AMD also maintain exclusivity on TrueAudio.

In terms of raw compute power AMD's GCN architecture is significantly ahead of Nvidia's at the moment & the difference is clearly seen in OpenCL.

From left to right, best performing to least performing. Performance as in: temperatures, noise & overclockablity.

Sapphire Vapor-X > Sapphire Tri-X/PowerColor PCS+ > Gigabyte Windforce > Asus DCUII > XFX DD/MSI Gaming/HIS IceQ

Gigabyte Windforce 290

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

As far as performance goes the 290 has a slight edge over the 780 at 1080p & a more significant performance advantage at 2560x1440. The higher the resolution the wider the performance delta.

You get 4GB of VRAM & more memory bandwidth the 290 so it's going to have a longer life span before the memory starts to become an issue.

If you intend to play the next Mass Effect or the upcoming Dragon Age Inquisition you should also know that those titles will support Mantle so the performance delta is going to be even larger with those titles.

All upcoming Frostbite powered games from EA will support Mantle, I believe there are about 7 or 8 games planned in the next 12-16 months.

As far as features go there is pretty much feature parity between both Nvidia & AMD at the moment.

GeForce Experience & G-Sync are balanced out by Raptr Gaming Evolved APP & Free-Sync.

Nvidia has PhysX & GameWorks which runs faster on their cards, AMD has Mantle & TressFX.

AMD also maintain exclusivity on TrueAudio.

In terms of raw compute power AMD's GCN architecture is significantly ahead of Nvidia's at the moment & the difference is clearly seen in OpenCL.

From left to right, best performing to least performing. Performance as in: temperatures, noise & overclockablity.

Sapphire Vapor-X > Sapphire Tri-X/PowerColor PCS+ > Gigabyte Windforce > Asus DCUII > XFX DD/MSI Gaming/HIS IceQ

I disagree with you putting XFX and MSI last They both have the Lowest temps on an 290 while Gigabyte and asus have higher temps then them.

MSI or Gigabyte 290?

msi twin fans? id pick that, the 3 small fans cooler are loud as fack...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Gigabyte Windforce 290

this is actualy the worst idea unless you dont mind jet engine sounds...

MSI or Gigabyte 290?

Mine runs at max of 81c when playing Crysis 3 on ultra. But when playing regular games max is 71c.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

this is actualy the worst idea unless you dont mind jet engine sounds...

maybe i am wrong here

how about Tri-X?

Mine runs at max of 81c when playing Crysis 3 on ultra. But when playing regular games max is 71c.

Which one do you have?

am going with the MSI as the Gigabyte Runs sometimes at 84C-85C also am not a big fan of gigabyte as their products has lots of problems.

Which one do you have?

am going with the MSI as the Gigabyte Runs sometimes at 84C-85C also am not a big fan of gigabyte as their products has lots of problems.

MSI R9 290. Considering my usual ambient temp is around 30-32c.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

maybe i am wrong here

how about Tri-X?

the tri-x is better, but if possible i'd go with the twin frozr or any other dual fans design (direct CUII, Dual-X..), the bigger fans move more air and are generally quieter.

The twin frozr i think as the biggest fans available.

The title says it.

Which has better performance and cooling?

Should i go with the R9 290 and get a 27" Monitor?

Or should i go with the GTX 780 and get a 23" Monitor?

Note:I can only buy the MSI in the GTX 780 bec of the money

and in the R9 290 i could go with the tri-x but i would like to save some money and i've heard that its Sapphire>MSI>Gigabyte n so on.

and i won't go for Gigabyte as it has a High temp in the 290 same for the asus i would trust them in any card but the 290.

It really depends on what your doing. First off, monitor size wont matter whether you choice either of these cards.

Second of all, are thoes 1080p monitors, or are you going for 4k? If for 4K the 290 gives you a little more bang for your buck.

The 780 is quite and more power efficient.

Bottom line, Go with the 780 for 1080p gaming, and the 290 for 4K

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

It really depends on what your doing. First off, monitor size wont matter whether you choice either of these cards.

Second of all, are thoes 1080p monitors, or are you going for 4k? If for 4K the 290 gives you a little more bang for your buck.

The 780 is quite and more power efficient.

Bottom line, Go with the 780 for 1080p gaming, and the 290 for 4K

The 290 performs sometimes better than the 780 for 1080p gaming and is cheaper.

As also the MSI R9 290 is as quite as a 780 and i don't care about the Power effcient

The 290 performs sometimes better than the 780 for 1080p gaming and is cheaper.

As also the MSI R9 290 is as quite as a 780 and i don't care about the Power effcient

Well then get the 290 :P

EDIT: I forgot to ask, what kinda of games will you be playing?

For example, AMD cards will do better on games such as Battlefield 4 thanks to mantle technology.

But GeForce cards will do better on games like Watch_Dogs because of Nvidia gameworks

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Well then get the 290 :P

EDIT: I forgot to ask, what kinda of games will you be playing?

For example, AMD cards will do better on games such as Battlefield 4 thanks to mantle technology.

But GeForce cards will do better on games like Watch_Dogs because of Nvidia gameworks

Am gunna play everygame available from 2012 till now my current pc couldn't handle minecraft everything on low so am not gunna leave a game without playing.

as watchdogs the 290 i think with the new amd driver could handle it with more than 60 FPS

as also for me the 290 is 483$ and the 780 is 560$ so i think i am going with the 290 no matter what