Surface Pro 3 for college?

Randomacts

I was thinking about getting one not sure what one.. but the biggest thing would have to be the screen..

It is a 3:2..

How the hell does a 3:2 screen work for video? 

On a side note.. there was a discount I heard for people with .edu emails but I can't find it now.. their student store.

It works very well but i don't like their kebyoard covers if you need to do a lot of typing

It works very well but i don't like their kebyoard covers if you need to do a lot of typing

The new one I hear isn't bad.

Surely better then the laptop I was going to get.. ..

Oh and another thing I thought of... it doesn't come with office .. does it..  I see office 365 but that is the stupid sub thing..

I'd jump on it, It'd be brilliant if you're going to be typing up a lot of work. I do Chemistry and Physics, so it wouldn't be as useful for those subjects, but if you think you'll make use of it, sure.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I'd jump on it, It'd be brilliant if you're going to be typing up a lot of work. I do Chemistry and Physics, so it wouldn't be as useful for those subjects, but if you think you'll make use of it, sure.

Computer science actually. (CNET to be specific) 

I'm just really worried that the 3:2 screen ratio will be very weird for media use.. 

Computer science actually. (CNET to be specific)

I'm just really worried that the 3:2 screen ratio will be very weird for media use..

Why would it be weird? The video isn't cropped or distorted, there will be extra space on the top/sides depending on the orientation and aspect ratio of the content. Like black bars on a movie. Everything will look fine, I think 3:2 is great for productivity and design work with all that vertical space.

Why would it be weird? The video isn't cropped or distorted, there will be extra space on the top/sides depending on the orientation and aspect ratio of the content. Like black bars on a movie. Everything will look fine, I think 3:2 is great for productivity and design work with all that vertical space.

Hmm you are right... with the res being sooo high it can do black bars and still be 1080p most likely .. or at least 720p 

You know what I noticed is MS isn't very clear with the specs.. there is 4 and 8gb models..

I assume the higher storage comes with the 8gb of ram? But it isn't very clear..

Hmm you are right... with the res being sooo high it can do black bars and still be 1080p most likely .. or at least 720p 

You know what I noticed is MS isn't very clear with the specs.. there is 4 and 8gb models..

I assume the higher storage comes with the 8gb of ram? But it isn't very clear..

i5 128gb comes with 4gb of ram; i5 250gb comes with 8gb as listed by their website or searching it. 

The Surface Pro i5 version which was originally due out today has been delayed till the 30th. 

Edit: Why do they keep switching the dates, the above was seen yesterday... now they show it as available? Really odd. 

I am kind of nervous about ordering it, but on the other hand I really need a device for school...... who knew picking was so difficult >.<

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

I can guarantee it will display 1080p content at a resolution of 2160x1215 with black bars on the top and bottom in full screen. This is effectively up scaling the video to higher than the resolution of the media, any HD or higher content will be super sharp and perfect. Don't worry about the screen at all.

I ordered it without hesitation as a mobile productivity device. I have used the pro 2 type cover and it was very good for its limitations. I suspect the added space just makes it more natural and less cramped

I ordered it without hesitation as a mobile productivity device. I have used the pro 2 type cover and it was very good for its limitations. I suspect the added space just makes it more natural and less cramped

You already have the surface pro 3 already? how does 1080p and 720p content display? 

You already have the surface pro 3 already? how does 1080p and 720p content display? 

Ordered but hasnt arrived. Reviews and hands on have said the screen is gorgeous. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only issue I suspect in regards to the screen is glare when outside but that will be dependant on your use case

Ordered but hasnt arrived. Reviews and hands on have said the screen is gorgeous. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only issue I suspect in regards to the screen is glare when outside but that will be dependant on your use case

When will it arrive?

If you are willing it would be awesome to see what 16:9 content looks like played back.. seeing as that is my one and only worry =p

On a side note did you figure out how the 4gb / 8gb models are spread out? Like what sizes get  what ect.

Both i5's are planning to be shipped on the 30th, after a few days probably

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Both i5's are planning to be shipped on the 30th, after a few days probably

Looks like someone got theirs already in the other thread I'll try and get info out of him.