Google I/O and Apple

Cosmos_i7

Hi guys I just wanted to share my thoughts about Google I/O and how it affects Apple.

First of all I would just like to say that I am a bit of an Apple guy, I own an iPhone, iPad, and iMac. However that does not mean I dislike Google in anyway, in fact I really like them because of how they develop apps for iOS.

Google came out with some pretty neat stuff at I/O with their new music streaming service and the S4 "Nexus edition". But one thing I did notice was the support of iOS devices. Take Google Hangouts for example, works across iOS and Android. Google now, works across iOS, Android and now Chrome. Google Maps, etc.

Then there was that game demo which was more of a proof of concept than anything else where the track cars would race across all the different device screens and this included an iPhone and iPad.

When they demoed something on the desktop the computer they used was a Mac. 

They then announced how Google play would work across iOS as well as Android. 

My point here is I believe Google isn't trying to compete with Apple, rather collaborate to make the world more advanced with technology.

When Larry Page made his final speech it was very inspirational and he made many points about the industry as it is. He said smartphones are very expensive and they tried narrowing that gap with the Nexus 4. The fact that the raw components of a smartphone are so cheap, pennies almost. Have you actually ever thought about how little silicon and glass actually goes into a phone?

One line he mentioned was this:

"Being negative is not how we make progress"

Maybe we should get out of this habit of saying how Android is better than iOS, or Windows is better than Mac, or Samsung is better than HTC etc. Rather than this constant arguing maybe companies should start working together like Google does with Apple. Larry Page even stated that they had clashes with Microsoft and Oracle but they hope they can sort things.

Personally I think if Apple started providing services for Android phones that they would be in a much better position, maybe stuff like iCloud support or even something like iPhoto. I know this isn't how Apple works with the "walled garden" approach. 

I think its time for change in the tech industry whether it be Apple being more open, Microsoft listening to consumers, Google providing more updates and support etc. 

After Google I/O I noticed Google's share price shoot up to $900 whereas Apple's dropped to $400. I think share holders have got it all wrong, the companies aren't trying to compete how they think they are. If anything Google is helping Apple.

This is coming from a pretty big Apple user. I am interested in seeing the direction tech companies go and not battling it out with other users of another platform. I would like to see your opinions on this as I know many of you are Windows, Android and iOS users, plus a few Mac guys. So it would be interesting to see everyones point of view.

I like the point of view you are coming from. I am also a Mac guy, and it is interesting how many options Google has brought to iOS and even OSX. Personally, I think it would be great if Apple began making their software readily available. However, I know this will never happen, as people buy the devices in order to get in the Apple ecosystem, and Apple wants to keep it that way. Apple is an exclusive company, and while it may harm them, I think Apple will stay that way for the near future.

I think that's a problem. It's one of the reasons I find it difficult to switch to Android because then I would lose all of the Apple features such as iCloud sync and stuff. I think it would really be beneficial to the end user if instead of competing they worked together to provide a better experience. What Google is doing is completely on the right track and I wish more companies would do that than just Google.