Local Disk Drives Icon not showing - Windows 11

vadugs

About a week ago my local drive disk icon is not showing up. I'm only seeing a white page icon instead of the drive icon. This happened when the disk management tool went not responding so i had to force close it. Tried stopping and restarting the windows explorer and also tried clearing the thumbnails database and restarted the machine but that is also not working.

Screenshot 2024-06-30 125233.png

(I am really sorry but AI really does answer some stuff that I didn't even know).

Spoiler

. Rebuild Icon Cache

Sometimes, the icon cache in Windows can get corrupted, leading to incorrect or missing icons. To rebuild the icon cache:

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local

(You can copy and paste this path into the address bar of File Explorer.)

2. Find the IconCache.db file. This file is hidden, so make sure you have enabled the option to view hidden files in File Explorer.

3. Delete IconCache.db. You can either delete it directly or rename it to something else like IconCache.old.

4. Restart your computer to let Windows rebuild the icon cache.

2. Check Disk for Errors

There might be underlying disk errors causing this issue. To check your disk for errors:

1. Open File Explorer, right-click on your local drive (usually C:), and select Properties.

2. Go to the Tools tab and click on Check under the Error checking section.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions to let Windows scan and fix any errors on the drive.

4. Restart your computer after the scan completes.

3. Perform a System File Check (SFC scan)

System files related to icons might be corrupted. Running an SFC scan can help fix these issues:

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator. Right-click on the Start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows Terminal (Admin).

2. In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:

sfc /scannow
  3. Let the scan complete. It will check for corrupted system files and attempt to repair them automatically.

4. Restart your computer after the scan finishes.

4. Change Drive Icon Manually (Optional)

If the above steps don't resolve the issue and you still see a generic icon:

1. Right-click on your local drive and select Properties.

2. Go to the Customize tab.

3. Click on Change Icon... and choose a different icon or browse to the default drive icons located in %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll.

4. Click OK and then Apply to apply the changes.

5. Restart your computer to see if the icon appears correctly.

Also try DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

As an additional tip, I have always given Windows some "private" time taking out maintenance task. Just manually running automatic maintenance in control panel. But, I have recently started also running, chkdsk, sfc, and DISM commands in this time. SFC and DISM most of the time don't really fix much, but most of the time do report some stuff that needs to be fixed and fix them.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.