Black Screen & Q-Code 98 After Windows Install?

Go to solution Solved by TheBESTBigStepBrother,

May god help me. I fixed it with two steps. For anyone else this happens too, I suffered so you don’t have to.

1) Update Bios to latest version using Bios Flashback

2) Unplug display port from motherboard and use HDMI???

(I guess it was lacking drivers?)

Updating everything possible right now but she’s working as expected!

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, this is a bit of a long read but I am grateful to anyone who does and has some input. I’m going crazy. I just assembled my pc and the specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E Wifi II

Processor: Intel i7-14700k

Ram: G.Skillz Trident Z5 (2x16gb) 6400Mhz CL32

Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb (m.2_1) Samsung 990 Pro 2Tb (m.2_2)

Graphics card: NONE, using integrated.

Cooler: Corsair iCUE LINK H150i AIO (Also using a Thermal Grizzly Contact Plate)

Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x SHIFT

Case fans: Corsair iCUE LINK RX120mm RGB (x7)

Upon completion, I grabbed my laptop to create a Bootable Windows USB.

I inserted the USB into the PC and started it. It powered on immediately and went to the screen that said “NEW CPU INSTALLED! Enter BIOS”

So I entered BIOS, confirmed that the USB was the bootable drive.

And saved and exited.

Upon restarting, windows installer appeared and I went through the installation.

Finally I was on the desktop. All was ok. A message appeared asking if I wanted to install Armoury Crate and the LAN drivers (I had an Ethernet plugged into the PC and did NOT use the included WIFI antenna). I clicked yes, and as it began to install I got up and went outside for a cigarette. Upon returning to my computer my monitor was black, continuously cycling between being pitch black, and then backlit, pitch black, etc. 

The motherboard at this point was cycling through codes so I assumed that it was simply restarting. After a couple seconds it decided to settle on 98 which according to the manual means “Console Input Devices Connect”. I don’t have a clue what that means but Google seems to say it’s a “input related” such as keyboard, mouse, etc while others are saying it can range from RAM, GPU, a power supply? Faulty CPU?? Faulty Motherboard???

Now the fact that I was installing windows and got INTO THE DESKTOP, and managed to install armoury crate leads me to believe it’s NOT a faulty CPU or motherboard how can It be if it was working. Let alone there’s not really an indication for that. I’ve tried every USB the system has for the keyboard and mouse, to no avail. Unplugging them completely leads to error code D7 (obviously).

I unplugged the Ram and tried running it with just one stick (tested both) and no change.

I don't have another keyboard or mouse to use, but why would I try that anyway when they WERE working very clearly.

What happened? I am completely stumped and disheartened. I don’t understand what the issue is. This was a birthday gift to myself to this really sucks. Anyone know what I can do? I will die if I have to RMA anything the more I think about it the more I want to throw the PC off my desk.

Edited by TheBESTBigStepBrother
Edited to be more descriptive

Can you get to the BIOS or is it just not giving an output?

Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");

16 minutes ago, TheBESTBigStepBrother said:

Hi guys, 

I just assembled a pc literally an hour ago; Specs are:

Corsair 5000D Airflow

ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Wifi II

i7-14700k

32Gb G.Skillz Trident Z5 (2x32gb 6400mhz CL32)

Corsair iCUE LINK H150i

Corsair iCUE LINK RX120mm fans

No GPU yet until I save some more money.

I assembled the PC, plugged everything in, inserted my windows boot USB, and it started perfect on first try. Brought me right to the “new cpu installed please visit bios!” screen. After leaving bios it immediately launched up windows installer to which I did. Great.

getting to the desktop, it said would you like to install armoury crate & lan driver. I said yes. As it was installing I got up and left and went for a smoke.

After I came back the screen stays black and I get Q-code error 98 NO MATTER WHAT I DO. Yes I’ve unplugged and repluggeed in the keyboard and mouse 100 times. I’ve reseated the RAM so many times it’s probably end of life (sarcasm). I don’t have a GPU currently so it can’t be it’s not seated. 

What in the world is wrong?

ESPECIALLY since it WAS working.

Please please please help I was so, excited to use this pc now my heart is broken. 

Try a CMOS reset, if that fails, try reseating the CPU and boot with only 1 RAM DIMM inserted

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem, max OC]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

3 hours ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Can you get to the BIOS or is it just not giving an output?

Can’t get to BIOS. No display what so ever which is so weird because as I said everything was fine until I left while Armoury Crate was installing.

22 minutes ago, TheBESTBigStepBrother said:

Can’t get to BIOS. No display what so ever which is so weird because as I said everything was fine until I left while Armoury Crate was installing.

Try TatamiMatt's suggestion, then update us

Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");

2 hours ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Try TatamiMatt's suggestion, then update us

Will do when I get home from work.

May god help me. I fixed it with two steps. For anyone else this happens too, I suffered so you don’t have to.

2 hours ago, TheBESTBigStepBrother said:

Its more displayport can be a LOT fussier than HDMI, as in you can hot plug HDMI but about 1/2 the time displayport needs you to reboot, also booting external monitors of laptop = always had trouble with displayport not working for BIOS.

Now on a graphics card, I have had 0 issues with displayport on my desktop, but then I have an older 5800XD that does not have an AGPU built in.