A bit of background, I switched from Windows to Linux and then to Mac. When Microsoft had an eco-system (phone, watch, PC and Xbox) I preferred their set up as even though it at times was half baked, it offered many of the pros of the Apple eco-system at a fraction of the cost. However I switched over to Linux when Microsoft began killing off their eco-system and putting ads into their operating systems. While on Linux and Android, there was a lot to love, but I missed that uniformity across devices and unless I wanted to switch to a Chromebook, Apple was my only choice. 

So I switched over to Apple, I LOVE Apple's eco-system much in the same way I loved Microsoft's eco-system when its as available. However Apple has a couple MAJOR disadvantages that I don't appreciate very much. Particularly that lack of upgradability and repairability in their devices being my primary and almost only issue with their hardware. I'm surprised Linux phones haven't really taken off (yes I know there are many similarities between Android and Linux, but its been so googlefied that its hard to consider it a genuine open source/non-aligned operating system, at least the ones available in the mainstream market which could be the issue). 

What I would love more than anything is a Linux Operating System device eco-system. I want my PC, my phone, my watch and my TV all running a variant of the same version of Linux where they're all interconnected to one another. That way I get the eco-system convenience of Apple and the open source freedom of Linux. Other than Ubuntu Touch I haven't been able to find any other projects like this which is quite unfortunate. Perhaps one of you on the forum knows of something I don't? 

Would you switch completely to Linux if it had an official eco-system, do you know of a distro attempting this other than Ubuntu, or has Ubuntu Touch gotten a lot better?

- Angela Hornung

So far I've haven't found great linux phone yet except pinephone64 old device i know.

And technically andriod is a linux system but in arm processors however you could 

Modify andriod system mostly except with google parts, you can however remove entirely if you choose to do so.

I've havent tried before but I've seen KDE connect which there's app for it and KDE connect can be almost install in all distros.

Ive been so busy tinkering with computers until now realising i can tinker phones as well. 

*Proceeds installing custom rom on the phone*

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

53 minutes ago, AngelaHornung said:

So I switched over to Apple, I LOVE Apple's eco-system much in the same way I loved Microsoft's eco-system when its as available. However Apple has a couple MAJOR disadvantages that I don't appreciate very much. Particularly that lack of upgradability and repairability in their devices being my primary and almost only issue with their hardware. I'm surprised Linux phones haven't really taken off (yes I know there are many similarities between Android and Linux, but its been so googlefied that its hard to consider it a genuine open source/non-aligned operating system, at least the ones available in the mainstream market which could be the issue).

We had one shot when Canonical was working on Unity 8, they were partnering with manufacturers and were aiming to target the Desktop, Mobile, and TV Space much like Android. At the time they were considering going public and this move was considered high risk, so to be more appealing to investors it was canned. This decision pretty much killed any hope of Linux being a competitor in the space. The problem now is it's to late for anyone to really enter in a competitive way.

do you know of a distro attempting this other than Ubuntu

Canonical Ubuntu hasn't maintained Ubuntu touch since 2017, it along with Unity 8 (Lomiri) is maintained by the small ubports community.

A bit of background, I switched from Windows to Linux and then to Mac. When Microsoft had an eco-system (phone, watch, PC and Xbox) I preferred their set up as What I would love more than anything is a Linux Operating System device eco-system. I want my PC, my phone, my watch and my TV all running a variant of the same version of Linux where they're all interconnected to one another. That way I get the eco-system convenience of Apple and the open source freedom of Linux. Other than Ubuntu Touch I haven't been able to find any other projects like this which is quite unfortunate. Perhaps one of you on the forum knows of something I don't?

There is Ubuntu Touch and PostmarketOS. The main problems you run into however are

• Any Device made for Linux Mobile is overpriced and can't even compete with cheap throwaway Android Devices.
    • The lower the quantity the higher the cost
      • To keep cost down we sacrifice hardware
    • It's such a small market that there is often a premium price attached to it
  • Some Android Devices are ported over but are often mostly non functional
    • Android blobs don't work with linux and have to run through compatibility layers which may not completely work as intended.
    • There isn't much effort in porting

The problem is if you were to bring a Linux phone to market, the experience is just not great. There's no support from most Android/IOS App Developers and most Linux attention goes into Server and Workstation. Most of the Linux Mobile side of things is maintained by a small community.

28 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

So far I've haven't found great linux phone yet except pinephone64 old device i know.

And technically andriod is a linux system but in arm processors however you could 

Modify andriod system mostly except with google parts, you can however remove entirely if you choose to do so.

I've havent tried before but I've seen KDE connect which there's app for it and KDE connect can be almost install in all distros.

Ive been so busy tinkering with computers until now realising i can tinker phones as well. 

*Proceeds installing custom rom on the phone*

Exactly! We need a good Linux Phone that pairs with a PC bistro. That way we can free ourselves completely from Microsoft, Apple and Google. Make sure there are no ads in our systems. 

- Angela Hornung

1 minute ago, Nayr438 said:

We had one shot when Canonical was working on Unity 8, they were partnering with manufacturers and were aiming to target the Desktop, Mobile, and TV Space much like Android. At the time they were considering going public and this move was considered high risk, so to be more appealing to investors it was canned. This decision pretty much killed any hope of Linux being a competitor in the space. The problem now is it's to late for anyone to really enter in a competitive way.

Canonical Ubuntu hasn't maintained Ubuntu touch since 2017, it along with Unity 8 (Lomiri) is maintained by the small ubports community.

There is Ubuntu Touch and PostmarketOS. The main problems you run into however are

• Any Device made for Linux Mobile is overpriced and can't even compete with cheap throwaway Android Devices.
    • The lower the quantity the higher the cost
      • To keep cost down we sacrifice hardware
    • It's such a small market that there is often a premium price attached to it
  • Some Android Devices are ported over but are often mostly non functional
    • Android blobs don't work with linux and have to run through compatibility layers
    • There isn't much effort in porting

The problem is if you were to bring a Linux phone to market, the experience is just not great. There's no support from most Android/IOS App Developers and most Linux attention goes into Server and Workstation. Most of the Linux Mobile side of things is maintained by a small community.

I'd really hate to say it's too late, especially as people get feed up with the duopoly. 

- Angela Hornung

You can use KDE Connect even on Android which I recommend. I have a Pinephone which is COMPLETELY useless for the past 4 years. Linux on the phone is definitely taking its sweet time. I've tried every distro imaginable on it. They are all super buggy still.

So what I did, is I bought a deGoogled Android phone from Iode Tech and use KDE Connect to have the similar functionality as they do on Apple. Automatic clipboard sharing, notifications and SMS messages syncing being some of my fav applications.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

CPU: 7945HX

GPU: 4090M

2 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

You can use KDE Connect even on Android which I recommend. I have a Pinephone which is COMPLETELY useless for the past 4 years. Linux on the phone is definitely taking its sweet time. I've tried every distro imaginable on it. They are all super buggy still.

So what I did, is I bought a deGoogled Android phone from Iode Tech and use KDE Connect to have the similar functionality as they do on Apple. Automatic clipboard sharing, notifications and SMS messages syncing being some of my fav applications.

This sounds quite fascinating! This eco-system functionality between the devices, what distro for your PC does it work with, or is it application specific? While perhaps a bit less intuitive if application specific, it certainly sounds like a potentially viable option. 🙂

- Angela Hornung

1 minute ago, AngelaHornung said:

This sounds quite fascinating! This eco-system functionality between the devices, what distro for your PC does it work with, or is it application specific? While perhaps a bit less intuitive if application specific, it certainly sounds like a potentially viable option. 🙂

KDE Connect is just a KDE app. If you use the Plasma Desktop environment it comes preinstalled. I'm personally on Bazzite and it's there by default. Just download KDE Connect on you phone as well, pair the devices and give the necessary permissions and you're done. It's REALLY nice. It also exists for Windows if you have that and wanna give it  a shot. It's in the Windows App Store.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

CPU: 7945HX

GPU: 4090M

1 minute ago, AngelaHornung said:

I'd really hate to say it's too late, especially as people get feed up with the duopoly. 

It would suffer from the same problem the Linux Desktop does.

No Apps/Software from major companies because demand is to low, demand is to low because there is no Apps/Software. It was a concern then and its an even bigger one now. It's a high risk move that is likely to fail in a space where Android and IOS have already dominated the market.

4 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

This is honestly the best solution if you use the KDE Plasma Desktop.

I personally buy unlocked Google Pixel Phones and run either LineageOS with MicroG or GrapheneOS. Surprisingly Google is pretty open with their oem unlocked devices.