Random restart

Max51v2

Hi, my pc either restart randomly or when the screen goes to sleep (due to inactivity).

When it restarts, sometime the graphics card doesn't output anything.

When I check the event observer, the only error I can find is parsec indicating that my gpu drivers failed (after restarting).

The random restarts happened a few times right after installing the new gpu and today after I moved (haven't been bothered in between).

The restart when the screen is put to sleep happens most of the time.

Both happen within seconds or minutes after being put to sleep or booting. When it doesn't restart the pc works completely fine (games, benchmarks...).

Context : I already had a problem with my graphics card not long ago (drivers getting uninstalled, gpu being disabled, green screens). I replaced it with the same model two months ago.

What I did :

- update everything

- reinstall gpu drivers

- repair windows

- try another gpu (gtx 1050 ti which worked fine)

Config :

CPU : Ryzen 5 5500

GPU : Gigabyte Radeon RX 6600 eagle

RAM : Crucial 4 * 8GB 3200MHz CL22

Motherboard : ASUS Prime B450M-A II

Storage : Crucial P3 1TB

PSU : Thermaltake TR2 S 600W

Thanks for your help

Have a nice day

1 hour ago, Max51v2 said:

When it restarts, sometime the graphics card doesn't output anything.

That'll be the driver not loading event you talked about. ["When I check the event observer, the only error I can find is parsec indicating that my gpu drivers failed (after restarting)."]

1 hour ago, Max51v2 said:

he random restarts happened a few times right after installing the new gpu and today after I moved (haven't been bothered in between).

Both happen within seconds or minutes after being put to sleep or booting. When it doesn't restart the pc works completely fine (games, benchmarks...).

Context : I already had a problem with my graphics card not long ago (drivers getting uninstalled, gpu being disabled, green screens). I replaced it with the same model two months ago.

What I did :

- update everything

- reinstall gpu drivers

- repair windows

- try another gpu (gtx 1050 ti which worked fine)

Have you tried uninstalling ALL old drivers, including any nvidia drivers?

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

12 hours ago, Sanedish said:

That'll be the driver not loading event you talked about. ["When I check the event observer, the only error I can find is parsec indicating that my gpu drivers failed (after restarting)."]

Have you tried uninstalling ALL old drivers, including any nvidia drivers?

Hi,

I used DDU to uninstall both AMD and Nvidia drivers. I tried to install both old and recent AMD drivers but the gpu behaves the same.

If it can be useful, I tried to disable auto restart (when the pc fail) and all it does is displaying a blank screen with my gpu fans maxed.

46 minutes ago, Max51v2 said:

I used DDU to uninstall both AMD and Nvidia drivers. I tried to install both old and recent AMD drivers but the gpu behaves the same.

That seems like an GPU/Operating issue then. Have you tried running it in a fresh install of windows?

47 minutes ago, Max51v2 said:

If it can be useful, I tried to disable auto restart (when the pc fail) and all it does is displaying a blank screen with my gpu fans maxed.

That basically means your gpu has no data going into the chip and the gpu bios is not loading [in my experience, don't take my word for granted there].

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

35 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

That seems like an GPU/Operating issue then. Have you tried running it in a fresh install of windows?

That basically means your gpu has no data going into the chip and the gpu bios is not loading [in my experience, don't take my word for granted there].

Now that I think of it, random restarts just got back yesterday (except for when it goes to sleep).

I ran windows update so maybe it's related.

Context :

Random reboots vanished after repairing the install but it would still reboot when going to sleep.

As for a gpu issue, it would be odd because it's the second rx 6600 that gives me trouble (first one had it's drivers uninstalled, black screen, green screen + reboot (it did that in my friends pc as well)).

I will try tonight and give an update

12 hours ago, Sanedish said:

For now I didn't encounter problems (didn't test sleep mode yet).

Thanks

Will test for a few days and mark it as resolved if everything works