Hello, I recently bought a new CPU to test out in a build and it isn't really what I was looking for. My current build is an MSI Z490-APro, Intel core I3 10105f (for a budget build) 32 gb of Corsair Vengeance PRO 3600, and an Nvidia Quadro M5000. the CPU I tested was an Intel core I7 11700K. I used it for a couple days and really didn't see the need for the upgrade as I wasn't seeing a performance boost. I went back and reinstalled my I3 10105f and now my PC isn't booting. It starts the fans and my AIO gives me a readout on temps but nothing is displaying. also, the DRAM light on my board is now on. I took the CMOS battery out for a couple seconds when the PC was unplugged and its still giving no signs of life. I don't have other hardware to test on so I'm a little stuck here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Lord Draconical said:

Hello, I recently bought a new CPU to test out in a build and it isn't really what I was looking for. My current build is an MSI Z490-APro, Intel core I3 10105f (for a budget build) 32 gb of Corsair Vengeance PRO 3600, and an Nvidia Quadro M5000. the CPU I tested was an Intel core I7 11700K. I used it for a couple days and really didn't see the need for the upgrade as I wasn't seeing a performance boost. I went back and reinstalled my I3 10105f and now my PC isn't booting. It starts the fans and my AIO gives me a readout on temps but nothing is displaying. also, the DRAM light on my board is now on. I took the CMOS battery out for a couple seconds when the PC was unplugged and its still giving no signs of life. I don't have other hardware to test on so I'm a little stuck here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

try booting with 1 ram stick, and check the socket for any bent pins during the installation of the lovely i3 10105f

3 minutes ago, Lord Draconical said:

reseat the cpu and check to make sure there arent any bent pins on ur mobo. test a single stick of ram, in every slot, make sure the ram is fully in, make sure all the power connectors are in too.

Also does your cpu heat up when u turn the pc on?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, aren332 said:

reseat the cpu and check to make sure there arent any bent pins on ur mobo. test a single stick of ram, in every slot, make sure the ram is fully in, make sure all the power connectors are in too.

Also does your cpu heat up when u turn the pc on?

I genuinely have no idea. Ill have to check when I'm home. Would it be a good idea to take my cooler off to see if it heats up? also, my mobo doesn't seem to have bent pins. ill upload a photo in a bit as I have to get it on my laptop. Ive reseated my CUP about 8 times now so I think its not a setting problem. What about leaving the CMOS battery out for an extended period of time?

update, no phots on my phone ahahahah. Ill take some later

Edited by Lord Draconical

15 minutes ago, Lord Draconical said:

May want to change the title, as this is a troubleshooting issue.

What did you do EXACTLY during the "upgrade" process?  You'll need to touch all those steps for putting the i3 back in.

You must have done something beyond just taking the CPU out and replacing it, so if you need to go back as far as rebuilding the entire machine... do so just to make sure that one step you missed is now covered.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 minute ago, Dedayog said:

May want to change the title, as this is a troubleshooting issue.

What did you do EXACTLY during the "upgrade" process?  You'll need to touch all those steps for putting the i3 back in.

You must have done something beyond just taking the CPU out and replacing it, so if you need to go back as far as rebuilding the entire machine... do so just to make sure that one step you missed is now covered.

I was planning on rebuilding my machine to throughly put everything back into place. It may help, it may not. We will see in a few hours

if you installed an 11th Gen CPU in your Z490 board I'm assuming you flashed the BIOS?  Check on the MSi website that the BIOS adding the 11th Gen support deosn't knock out support for the older smaller 10th Gen chips.  I know some AMD BIOS will add support for newer chips at the expense of losing support for older ones.  It might just be a case of flashing your old BIOS back on the board with the 11700 and then doing the CPU swap

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

5 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

if you installed an 11th Gen CPU in your Z490 board I'm assuming you flashed the BIOS?  Check on the MSi website that the BIOS adding the 11th Gen support deosn't knock out support for the older smaller 10th Gen chips.  I know some AMD BIOS will add support for newer chips at the expense of losing support for older ones.  It might just be a case of flashing your old BIOS back on the board with the 11700 and then doing the CPU swap

I don't think that was the issue, i flashed the bios to the latest revision that supported both 10th and 11th gen chips. The bios version i used ran on the 10105 just fine then i put the 11700 in and no issues. Just going back to the 10105 is giving me issues 

7 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

Which BIOS's did that?  Not something I've seen in the AM4 or AM5 space.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

15 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

It was the 7C75v28 revision

17 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

AFAIK removing old CPUs only ever happened on AM4, because the platform lasted an insanely long time so the list of CPUs released on the same platform was something like 2-3 times what Intel ever, plus with much bigger architectural changes.  The motherboard manufacturers never figured this would happen so some models used smaller capacity chips which could no longer fit newer CPU microcode.  Also some budget boards which they never intended to include newer support but due to customer complaints AMD added support to these, again leaving the manufacturers with their pants down.

Mentioning AM5 is meaningless as that's post this problem and I believe motherboards are using bigger flash chips to avoid this scenario again.  Even if not, its too early to know how long AMD will support this platform and so if history might repeat itself.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Anyway, i think imma just rebuild the pc, try 1 stick of ram, changing it after each boot process, seen if my cpu gets hot. Ill get back to you guys with updates. Thanks for your help so far!

Before you rebuild check the socket for any bent or damaged pins, sounds like a classic bent pin in the CPU socket to me.

1 hour ago, Dedayog said:

It was something AMD had to do because if i remember rightly most of the B450 boards only had 8MB chips so if you look at the pages of these affected boards you'll see the BIOS line bifurcates and some versions will add newer chips and others will retain support for older ones 

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 hour ago, hopgop1 said:

Before you rebuild check the socket for any bent or damaged pins, sounds like a classic bent pin in the CPU socket to me.

I don't see any bent pins on my mobo. See belowIMG_3244.thumb.jpeg.4a1dd9dc4f8b0cfe8408fa598e6a4c18.jpegIMG_3243.thumb.jpeg.46a7b16573eb7e2b11eb1e70927aafe2.jpeg

Any other suggestions? The ram works and has been tested in another pc

22 minutes ago, Lord Draconical said:

Any other suggestions?

I know you briefly pulled the CMOS battery. Most motherboards either have a switch or there will be two pins on the motherboard that you need to short out to reset the CMOS. Check your manual. You do this with the battery installed.

12 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

I know you briefly pulled the CMOS battery. Most motherboards either have a switch or there will be two pins on the motherboard that you need to short out to reset the CMOS. Check your manual. You do this with the battery installed.

Ok, i know where they are. Ill try it out

Aww shoot! She works! Thanks for the help everyone. I guess the CMOS pins worked. I also dusted the pc, especially the dimm slots and it works. Again, super grateful for the support!

IMG_3247.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lord Draconical said:

She works!

That is great news!

When you swapped in the 11700K, did you check the Task Manager or CPU-Z to make sure all 8 cores and 16 threads were being detected and used? When you install a different CPU, if it has more cores and threads compared to the previous CPU, it is a good idea to check this. If not all cores and threads are being detected, you need to open msconfig, click on the Boot tab, press the Advanced options... button and clear the Number of processors box. This box should always be clear.

After you do this, press OK and reboot so Windows can find all of the cores in your new CPU. 

image.png.a2fdae9c7a84975ee939c7d33821b8ed.png

When you previously mentioned that the 11700K did not make much of a difference, the msconfig setting is often times the reason why. 

Time to do another CPU swap? 😀