Weird old external hdd

csinti

Hey guys

Ive just got a pretty old external hdd, specifically an IDE laptop hdd in an external USB box, which might contain some important data. The problem is, Windows doesn't recognise the file system (which was kinda expected), but linux also shows weird things. Im not an expert either in linux or data recovery and file systems, can you help me, what can i do with this? I attached the photos of the current state.

Thanks, have a great evening!

hdd2.thumb.png.167f154202a1d8f11be82938c0770ec2.png

hdd1.thumb.png.03d351edf52baa0523f680c1ea2e3115.png

do you have the drive inside its original enclosure or have you pulled it out and plugged it into a different adaptor?
I am not sure about ide but some sata drives do some weird crap with the formatting that only ends up working with their special enclosure unless you reformat it

39 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

do you have the drive inside its original enclosure or have you pulled it out and plugged it into a different adaptor?
I am not sure about ide but some sata drives do some weird crap with the formatting that only ends up working with their special enclosure unless you reformat it

Its in the original enclosure, in fact i don't have any devices or case that i could put it in.

35 minutes ago, da na said:

Could be formatted for MacOS.

Well, unfortunately the only Mac i have access to is running MacOS X, and it doesn't pick up the disk. But i havent tought of it, thanks!