4 monitors - "the display settings could not be saved" only 3 active

SJones

I have been running 3 monitors for years and had no issues, however I recently got myself a new 8k tv and using this as a 4th display, however I am having issues with getting it up and running.

I have a gigabyte rtx 3090 gaming oc running windows 10 and I can run any combination of 3 screens, but I am unable to get the 4th one active, even running all 3 working monitors at 1080p trying to initiate the 4th at the same resolution.

windows 10 display settings finds all 4 monitors but when I try to activate the 4th I get the message "The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings."

acording to gigabyte website the gpu can support 4 multiview (I assume this means 4 monitors) and all research points to the 3090 capable of pushing 4 monitors

any ideas?

33 minutes ago, SJones said:

I have been running 3 monitors for years and had no issues, however I recently got myself a new 8k tv and using this as a 4th display, however I am having issues with getting it up and running.

I have a gigabyte rtx 3090 gaming oc running windows 10 and I can run any combination of 3 screens, but I am unable to get the 4th one active, even running all 3 working monitors at 1080p trying to initiate the 4th at the same resolution.

windows 10 display settings finds all 4 monitors but when I try to activate the 4th I get the message "The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings."

acording to gigabyte website the gpu can support 4 multiview (I assume this means 4 monitors) and all research points to the 3090 capable of pushing 4 monitors

any ideas?

i'm not sure how your GPU are set up, but i have 2 2080ti's Aorus extreme WB.. not that it matter.. but it's only a certain combination of ports you can use at the same time..  mine can do 1 hdmi or usbc and 3 DP.. not that i have ever tried.. just running 3 monitors.. 😄 but two 30 inch at 2600x1600 and one 32inch at 1440p. 

guess i could test getting my tv on there as well on a hdmi port... but it's only 1 port i would be able to use. 

I thought about the configuration as supposedly my old 1080ti would deactivate one of the ports if another specific port was used (cant remember the order and was not an issue for me) - I have moved the display ports about but still no luck here. unfortunately I only have 2 display port capable monitors at this point and no way to move the HDMI around.

What displays are already connected? What's the TV you are trying to add? How are you connecting each display to the GPU? You will need to be pretty specific about what cable is used, as in DP to DP, HDMI to DP, DP to HDMI or HDMI to DP and so on.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section