Artifacts after booting

Dartix

I've booted up my pc today and had very weird artifacts happening on both monitors and everything was really laggy which I've never experienced any lag on this pc build so that was really weird. I managed to get a couple photos of my 2nd monitor with the artifacts, which I've attached.

Once i powered down and flipped my psu switch on and off and re-booted everything was fine again.

I have a 4090 which is overclocked with +200 Core and +1000 Memory. I've never had issues playing games with these overclock settings, everything I've played which has been GPU Intensive like Cyberpunk and CPU intensive like fortnite have all run extremely well. I also have ran many 3dmark tests and never had any issues.

I have a 7800X3D and the motherboard was always dodgy when I first got it, kept giving me red and yellow lights on the EZ Debug LED and eventually it just stopped booting and kept having those leds, so I sent it off for an RMA which they then refused because there was "bent pins" but they then sent it off to the manufacturer for a socket repair and once I got the motherboard back I was able to boot again but I still would get those red and yellow lights. Which I still get now. 

Sometimes I'll boot my pc and it will fail to boot with the red and yellow lights, but after 1 or 2 more tries it'll boot.

There was also one time maybe a few weeks ago where i booted the pc and on the manufacturer logo screen i seen some artifacts but after it went into windows it was fine.

So Im not sure what would be causing this? I really just need some advice on what to do here, should I buy a new motherboard, should I stop using the 4090 Overclock? 

If anyone has any ideas on what could've caused the artifacts it would be greatly appreciated.

20240223_182111.jpg

20240223_182110.jpg

38 minutes ago, Dartix said:

So Im not sure what would be causing this? I really just need some advice on what to do here, should I buy a new motherboard, should I stop using the 4090 Overclock? 

Simplest/Cheapest option first, then try others. In this case, removing the GPU overclock is the simplest and cheapest step, VRAM instability often causes this sort of artifacting so it's a no-brainer. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

Simplest/Cheapest option first, then try others. In this case, removing the GPU overclock is the simplest and cheapest step, VRAM instability often causes this sort of artifacting so it's a no-brainer. 

I agree with the above.  If that doesn't fix your problem, I would also suggest trying the GPU in the other PCIe slot.  It might be worth planning to change out your MOBO at some point, even if you don't get the artifacts again.  It sounds like you have a lot of other MOBO related issues.

5 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Yeah makes sense. Would running +200 on the core be fine and just leaving the memory clocks stock. The +200 gives a real nice fps boost.

2 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

I agree with the above.  If that doesn't fix your problem, I would also suggest trying the GPU in the other PCIe slot.  It might be worth planning to change out your MOBO at some point, even if you don't get the artifacts again.  It sounds like you have a lot of other MOBO related issues.

Yeah, I've taken the memory oc off and I'll just try running the +200 on the core for a while and hope for the best but yeah I'm gonna definitely get a new motherboard probably around summer and as well as a new case.