POE assistance

thstudios

Im looking to get into POE for security cameras ect.. more direct using Ubiquiti Products. 

Im looking at the 2k Bullet Cameras & POE Doorbell. 

I know for sure i need to get a POE Switch but i keep seeing theres 1-2 more equipment pieces required as well. 

From a pricing standpoint i plan to get a switch with 12-24 ports thats rackmounted (cost to quantity is worth it) & a recorder as well (theres a small 30 day one thats perfect) 

but i keep seeing i require other hardware as well but i also see some stuff that i dont require more. 

Im considering a dream machine as its pretty well a all in one especially if 3+ pieces of hardware are required. 

Budget isnt a issue but i still want practical not over the top

If you're getting Unifi cameras (including doorbell), you need a Unifi NVR for them to work/record. If that's the only Unifi products you'll be using, you can get that in the form of the CloudKey+ or Unifi NVR.

If you want the NVR to to also be a router, that means Dream Machine. If you want The NVR to also be a router/switch, that means Dream Machine Pro. If you want it to be a router/PoE switch, that means dream machine pro SE or dream wall (SE having 8 PoE ports, dream wall having more).

If you get the SE or dream wall, all you need is either of them and the cameras. If you get something lower on the spectrum, you'll either need a PoE Switch (if you got the dream machine) or PoE injectors (if you got the Dream Machine Pro).

Unifi has a capacity calculator, so you can spec what you need for how many cameras you have an what else you'll be doing with your unifi device:

https://ui.com/cloud-gateways/resource-calculator

The dream machine pro SE is a pretty good starting point into the Unifi Ecosystem, that you can extend as the obsession takes you. Built in PoE, enough NVR and capacity ability for any reasonable home camera setup, SFP+ to expand your network when you want more, all of Unifi's router goodness on board, and can be rack mounted when you get serious.

1 hour ago, thstudios said:

Im considering a dream machine as its pretty well a all in one especially if 3+ pieces of hardware are required. 

The UDM-PRO can run UniFi Protect and support a couple of UniFi cameras. Go more than a handful of cameras and you'll start to get slowdowns.

Keep in mind that there is no storage redundancy on the UDM-PRO over a separate NVR with RAID.

The UDM-PRO can also host UniFi Controller/Network, so you can control your UniFi PoE switch and router all from a single panel.

When looking for a UniFi PoE switch, make sure the switch supports the type of PoE required by your peripherals.

13 hours ago, Obioban said:

If you're getting Unifi cameras (including doorbell), you need a Unifi NVR for them to work/record. If that's the only Unifi products you'll be using, you can get that in the form of the CloudKey+ or Unifi NVR.

If you want the NVR to to also be a router, that means Dream Machine. If you want The NVR to also be a router/switch, that means Dream Machine Pro. If you want it to be a router/PoE switch, that means dream machine pro SE or dream wall (SE having 8 PoE ports, dream wall having more).

If you get the SE or dream wall, all you need is either of them and the cameras. If you get something lower on the spectrum, you'll either need a PoE Switch (if you got the dream machine) or PoE injectors (if you got the Dream Machine Pro).

Unifi has a capacity calculator, so you can spec what you need for how many cameras you have an what else you'll be doing with your unifi device:

https://ui.com/cloud-gateways/resource-calculator

The dream machine pro SE is a pretty good starting point into the Unifi Ecosystem, that you can extend as the obsession takes you. Built in PoE, enough NVR and capacity ability for any reasonable home camera setup, SFP+ to expand your network when you want more, all of Unifi's router goodness on board, and can be rack mounted when you get serious.

So i could go say 4 security cameras & cloudkey+ & that would be all i need to run the cameras from what im understanding? 

On 2/13/2024 at 3:14 AM, thstudios said:

So i could go say 4 security cameras & cloudkey+ & that would be all i need to run the cameras from what im understanding? 

You'll need either PoE injectors and a normal switch, or a PoE switch going that route, but yes.