Will an HP Pavilion 590-p0044 work with any off the self psu?

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

No not really.

The issue is that is uses a bastardization of a atx12vo standard psu. It's literally not possible to upgrade due to being massively proprietary. The best you can do is a 400w other one from hp which costs MORE than this entire pc and also isnt guaranteed to work because well hp.

Quite literally the only option would be a gtx 1650 or similar card that DOES NOT use extra pcie cable power as that stock psu simply put isnt strong enough for anything extra.

Honestly the money spent on upgrade you can just get an older normal ryzen gaming desktop used. Local classifieds will have em even ebay does for like 350$ and you won't have to deal with the hp garbagefest.

As for the psu's you were looking at the 500w is a different spec the 400w is from a similar older unit that MAY work but people seem to have had issues with it and you ahve to be mindfull of the card you get because flat out most 580's aren't even gonna fit due to wider cooler.

Hi, guys I thought I should probably ask someone with more experience than me so... (Some backstory) I bought a HP Pavilion 590-p0044 on eBay for about $80 and I'm doing some upgrades to it to make it better. It came with a ~180w PSU that's rated 80plus Gold (If I remember correctly) and I wanted to upgrade it to a 400-500w PSU as I plan on buying a Graphics Card in the near future and I don't think the current PSU is going to be able to handle it. (btw I plan on getting an AMD Radeon RX 580 which uses ~185w so I'm defiantly going to need an upgrade). I just wanted to know if I could use any off the shelf PSU or if I can only use the upgrades at HP/eBay sells (Parts: {400w PSU[L04618-800] $70-80} and 500w {PSU[L05757-800] $65-150}).

My PC's specifications are...

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G w/ Radeon Vega 11 Graphics

8GB DDR4 Ram (I have an extra stick of 8GB DDR4 but it's in another PC at the moment)

500GB SATA SSD

2TB SATA HDD @ 10KRPM

Windows 11 Home

Images Below are closely similar to the PC I own.

spacer.pngspacer.png

No not really.

The issue is that is uses a bastardization of a atx12vo standard psu. It's literally not possible to upgrade due to being massively proprietary. The best you can do is a 400w other one from hp which costs MORE than this entire pc and also isnt guaranteed to work because well hp.

Quite literally the only option would be a gtx 1650 or similar card that DOES NOT use extra pcie cable power as that stock psu simply put isnt strong enough for anything extra.

Honestly the money spent on upgrade you can just get an older normal ryzen gaming desktop used. Local classifieds will have em even ebay does for like 350$ and you won't have to deal with the hp garbagefest.

As for the psu's you were looking at the 500w is a different spec the 400w is from a similar older unit that MAY work but people seem to have had issues with it and you ahve to be mindfull of the card you get because flat out most 580's aren't even gonna fit due to wider cooler.

Gotcha I'll look into older AMD PCs when I upgrade, and I probably jump for a GPU without extra pcie cables as I'm using this pc as an entry to pc gaming and not necessarily my "forever" machine. So, it doesn't need to be perfect.